Subject: bug#19755: Acknowledgement (python.el: native completion: more problems (and solutions))

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 13:50:40 -0300

X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked]

After investing some hours on the many border cases of native
completion I sadly came to realize that there is a simpler and not so
fragile approach: as we're already assuming readline is available, why
don't we just get the current readline completer and use it directly?
This is not so different from the legacy completion mechanism, except
that we don't create the completer but use the same one that readline
is using. I think the completion code (legacy and native) could be
unified around a completer function and a lot of cruft related to
process interaction trickery (timeouts, control char sequences, output
parsing, etc.) could be wiped out from the code for good. Am I missing
something? Despite having to throw away so many hours of unpleasant
work I would like to simplify the completion code and I'm offering to
do it myself if you want. Just let me know what do you think about
this idea... maybe I'm not seeing an obvious reason why we should go
through readline user interface instead of readline programmer
interface.

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:41 AM, GNU bug Tracking System
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Thank you for filing a new bug report with debbugs.gnu.org.
>
> This is an automatically generated reply to let you know your message
> has been received.
>
> Your message is being forwarded to the package maintainers and other
> interested parties for their attention; they will reply in due course.
>
> As you requested using X-Debbugs-CC, your message was also forwarded to
>   [email-masked]
> (after having been given a bug report number, if it did not have one).
>
> Your message has been sent to the package maintainer(s):
>  [email-masked]
>
> If you wish to submit further information on this problem, please
> send it to [email-masked].
>
> Please do not send mail to [email-masked] unless you wish
> to report a problem with the Bug-tracking system.
>
> --
> 19755: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19755
> GNU Bug Tracking System
> Contact [email-masked] with problems