Subject: bug#19748: closed (python.el: navigate to beginning of defun gets stucked)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 21:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19748: python.el: navigate to beginning of defun gets stucked

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19748: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19748
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: python.el: navigate to beginning of defun gets stucked
From: [email-masked] (Fabián Ezequiel Gallina)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 18:53:51 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This doesn't happen with master's python.el.

The regression you are experiencing seems to be happening because you
are working on a patched python.el version that includes the change you
proposed in http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19665

Cheers,
Fabián.

Subject: python.el: navigate to beginning of defun gets stucked
From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 18:29:39 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This report is for python.el in the current master
(c10828bd8520db83cc06a2ad5de6f8a1ad74b83c).

Pressing C-M-a one time correctly positions the point at the beginning
of the current class or defun statement. Pressing C-M-a multiple times
is futile, as the point gets stucked where the first movement left
it. This is not consistent with the usual emacs behavior and it's not
very convenient to navigate code anyway.

The problem is in python-nav--beginning-of-defun:

            (when (and (> arg 0)
                       (python-info-looking-at-beginning-of-defun))
              (end-of-line 1))

This puts the point at the end of the line when the point is at a defun
or class line and the navigation is backward. So the next
re-search-backward will match the current line. This is fine when the
point is *after* the column where the defun or class statement starts,
but not quite so when the point is *over the indentation* whitespace
(that is, before the beginning of the defun/class keyword).

One simple solution is to add another condition:

            (when (and (> arg 0)
                       (> (current-column) (current-indentation))
                       (python-info-looking-at-beginning-of-defun))
              (end-of-line 1))

diff --git a/.emacs.d/lisp/python.el b/.emacs.d/lisp/python.el
index 788d09f..ca69b68 100644
--- a/.emacs.d/lisp/python.el
+++ b/.emacs.d/lisp/python.el
@@ -1295,6 +1295,7 @@ With positive ARG search backwards, else search forwards."
          (found
           (progn
             (when (and (> arg 0)
+                       (> (current-column) (current-indentation))
                        (python-info-looking-at-beginning-of-defun))
               (end-of-line 1))
             (while (and (funcall re-search-fn