Subject: bug#19738: closed (Re: bug#19738: How did [a-z] matché?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 22:26:04 +0000

Your bug report

#19738: How did [a-z] match é?

which was filed against the grep package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19738: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19738
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19738: How did [a-z] match é?
From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
To: James Calfee <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 15:25:29 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tag 19738 notabug
thanks

On 01/30/2015 06:44 PM, James Calfee wrote:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28247204/how-did-a-z-match-%C3%A9

Rather than making us chase a link, how about pasting the content of
your question directly in your mail.

At any rate, the answer to the question in your subject line is that
your current locale is set up to include letters outside of the 26 ascii
bytes.  Run with LC_ALL=C in the environment to get the well-defined
behavior you seem to want, and note that POSIX states that range
expressions in regular expressions are undefined in non-C locales,
precisely because some tools use all collation elements that 'sort'
would place in the range, while other tools use 'rational range
expression' and treat the range as if it were ASCII instead of the
current locale.

This is not a bug in coreutils, so I'm closing the tracker bug, but do
feel free to make further comments or questions.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org

Subject: How did [a-z] match é?
From: James Calfee <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:44:13 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28247204/how-did-a-z-match-%C3%A9