Subject: bug#1973: Bug in simple.el (Emacs version 22.2.1)

From: Sebastian Tennant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:15:11 +0000

Quoth "Stefan Monnier" <[email-masked]>:
>> So the shell mode used in interactive shells (started with M-x shell) is
>> enhanced somehow to handle ^Ms?
>
> It's actually done in comint-mode rather than just in shell-mode.
> See comint-carriage-motion.  Note that it's an approximation of the
> actual semantics of ^M in a terminal, because comint-mode doesn't
> actually provide the usual semantics of a terminal.

Hmm... interesting.  I hadn't noticed the comint-carriage-motion
function before.

So Shell mode (in buffer *shell* for instance) is actually Comint mode
masquerading as Shell mode whereas buffer *Async Command Output* is
plain Shell mode, not masquerading as anything?

>> Note that Kevin Rodgers does not observe the same behaviour:
>>  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/24348
>
> I'm not sure what he's referring to.

His *Async Command Output* buffer does _not_ display ^M chars when he
issues calls to shell-command with arguments ending "&".

Seb
-- 
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.
http://home.gna.org/eap