Subject: bug#1973: Bug in simple.el (Emacs version 22.2.1)

From: Sebastian Tennant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:27:31 +0000

Quoth Sebastian Tennant <[email-masked]>:
> Actually, this updated patch (attached) is what's required to fix the
> problem here.
>
> It explicitly puts the buffer in comint-mode.  (My last patch neglected
> to do this).

Correction.  The patch does not requre a call to comint-mode.  The
problem is stranger still.

With the first patch I provided (no comint-mode call) applied:

 $ emacs -Q

 M-! apt-get update &
 =| ^Ms abound
 
 M-x load-library RET simple.el RET
 => t
 M-! apt-get update &
 =| no ^Ms (in Shell mode)

I removed simple.elc before performing the above test so that's not the
problem.

With the unpatched simple.el in place, loading it manually a second time
does not fix the problem so my patch (with or without the call to
comint-mode) is still required.

Sebastian
-- 
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.
http://home.gna.org/eap