Subject: Re: bug#1973: Bug in simple.el (Emacs version 22.2.1)

From: Sebastian Tennant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:07:03 +0000

Quoth "Stefan Monnier" <[email-masked]>:
>> There seems to be a bug within shell mode that prevents it from handling
>> Ctrl-Ms properly.
>
> It's not a bug.  shell-command just runs a command and gives you the output
> of the command.  Some commands presume the output is displayed by some
> kind of terminal and will use terminal commands like ^M (or even ANSI
> color escape sequences), whereas shell-command was not designed for
> this purpose.

So the shell mode used in interactive shells (started with M-x shell) is
enhanced somehow to handle ^Ms?

Note that Kevin Rodgers does not observe the same behaviour:

 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/24348
 
>>> I'm not sure that just using make-comint-in-buffer is good enough.
>>> Maybe we should provide a new command instead, along the lines of
>>> comint-run, or maybe even change comint-run so that it accepts a shell
>>> command rather than an executable name.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because I'm not sure in what kinds of circumstances people use
> shell-command with an "&" at the end.

I use it for commands that take a while to complete, so that I can
continue doing other things and/or watch what's going on.  I expect the
buffer to behave/look/feel as much like an ordinary shell as possible.
Perhaps this is not typical.  I don't know.

>> In any case, I suspect we should extend rather than alter, comint mode
>> being the basis for dozens of other 'interpreter modes'.
>
> `comint-run' is a command (i.e. for interactive use).  I do see that it
> is occasionally misused from Elisp code (which should use make-comint
> instead), so we should be somewhat careful indeed when changing it.

Noted (and agreed)

Sebastian

-- 
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.
http://home.gna.org/eap