Subject: 11.88; preview with pdftex not working

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 16:16:02 +0100

Hi all,

Preview does not seem to work with pdftex processing, and I 
can't find the cause. Here is my configuration and tex test 
files:

Windows 7 32-bit
MikTeX 2.9
Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
AucTeX 11.88 installed via elpa

Init file .emacs is minimal, only containing these two lines:

(require 'package) (package-initialize)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . 
"http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/") t)

The tex test document (attached) is also minimal.

AucTeX loads without problems upon opening the latex 
document, and all its macros and syntax highlighting work 
fine. It also compiles the document in pdftex mode without 
problems, giving the pdf output file.

However, upon running preview-buffer or preview-document or 
preview-section (without caching the preamble), a 
_region_.pdf is created but the images aren't embedded in 
the pdf.

I'm attaching the test tex document, my init file, and the 
output files generated by preview-buffer (I've substituted 
my user name with asterisks for privacy).

Thank you for your help!
J

-----------------------------
Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
  of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Package: 11.88

Run buffer contents:

Running `Preview-LaTeX' on `_region_' with ``pdflatex 
-file-line-error 
"\nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{active,tightpage,auctex}{preview}\AtBeginDocument{\ifx\ifPreview\undefined\RequirePackage[displaymath,floats,graphics,textmath,sections,footnotes]{preview}[2004/11/05]\fi}" 
"\input" "_region_.tex"''
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.15 (MiKTeX 2.9)
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2014/05/01>
Babel <3.9l> and hyphenation patterns for 19 languages loaded.

No auxiliary output files.

(_region_.tex  !name(testpreview.tex)
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\base\article.cls"
Document Class: article 2014/09/29 v1.4h Standard LaTeX 
document class
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\base\size10.clo"))
No file _region_.aux.
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\preview\preview.sty"
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 
2.9\tex\latex\preview\prtightpage.def")
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\preview\prauctex.def"
No auxiliary output files.

("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\preview\prauctex.cfg"))
("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 
2.9\tex\latex\preview\prfootnotes.def")
Preview: Fontsize 10pt
Preview: PDFoutput 1
)  !name(testpreview.tex) !offset(-3)
_region_.tex:15: Preview: Snippet 1 started
Preview: Tightpage -32891 -32891 32891 32891
_region_.tex:15: Preview: Snippet 1 ended.(655359+0x22609920)
[1{C:/Users/pglpm/AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/pdftex/config/pdftex.map}]
_region_.tex:17: Preview: Snippet 2 started
_region_.tex:17: Preview: Snippet 2 ended.(455111+54613x2586081)
[2]
_region_.tex:19: Preview: Snippet 3 started
_region_.tex:21: Preview: Snippet 3 ended.(812652+0x22609920)
[3] )
(see the transcript file for additional 
information)<C:/Program Files/MiKTeX 2.
9/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmbx12.pfb><C:/Program 
Files/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/
type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmex10.pfb><C:/Program Files/MiKTeX 
2.9/fonts/type1/pu
blic/amsfonts/cm/cmmi10.pfb><C:/Program Files/MiKTeX 
2.9/fonts/type1/public/ams
fonts/cm/cmr10.pfb>
Output written on _region_.pdf (3 pages, 35604 bytes).
Transcript written on _region_.log.

TeX Output exited as expected with code 1 at Thu Jan 29 16:04:45
LaTeX: LaTeX found no preview images

current state:
==============
(setq
  AUCTeX-version "11.88"
  LaTeX-command-style '((""
			"%(PDF)%(latex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)")
		       )
  image-types '(png gif tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm)
  preview-image-type 'png
  preview-image-creators '((dvipng
			   (open preview-gs-open preview-dvipng-process-setup)
			   (place preview-gs-place)
			   (close preview-dvipng-close))
			  (png (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
			   (close preview-gs-close))
			  (jpeg (open preview-gs-open)
			   (place preview-gs-place) (close preview-gs-close))
			  (pnm (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
			   (close preview-gs-close))
			  (tiff (open preview-gs-open)
			   (place preview-gs-place) (close preview-gs-close))
			  )
  preview-dvipng-image-type 'png
  preview-dvipng-command "dvipng -picky -noghostscript %d -o 
\"%m/prev%%03d.png\""
  preview-pdf2dsc-command "pdf2dsc %s.pdf %m/preview.dsc"
  preview-gs-command "c:/PROGRAM FILES/GS/BIN/GSWIN32C.EXE"
  preview-gs-options '("-q" "-dDELAYSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" 
"-DNOPLATFONTS"
		      "-dPrinted" "-dTextAlphaBits=4" "-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4")
  preview-gs-image-type-alist '((png png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
			       (dvipng png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
			       (jpeg jpeg "-sDEVICE=jpeg")
			       (pnm pbm "-sDEVICE=pnmraw")
			       (tiff tiff "-sDEVICE=tiff12nc"))
  preview-fast-conversion t
  preview-prefer-TeX-bb nil
  preview-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww -i -E %d -o %m/preview.000"
  preview-fast-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww %d -o %m/preview.ps"
  preview-scale-function 'preview-scale-from-face
  preview-LaTeX-command '("%`%l 
\"\\nonstopmode\\nofiles\\PassOptionsToPackage{"
			 ("," . preview-required-option-list)
			 
"}{preview}\\AtBeginDocument{\\ifx\\ifPreview\\undefined" 
preview-default-preamble "\\fi}\"%' %t")
  preview-required-option-list '("active" "tightpage" "auctex"
				(preview-preserve-counters "counters"))
  preview-preserve-counters nil
  preview-default-option-list '("displaymath" "floats" 
"graphics" "textmath"
			       "sections" "footnotes")
  preview-default-preamble '("\\RequirePackage["
			    ("," . preview-default-option-list)
			    "]{preview}[2004/11/05]")
  preview-LaTeX-command-replacements nil
  preview-dump-replacements '(preview-LaTeX-command-replacements
			     ("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(\\( +-\\([^ 
\\\\\"]\\|\\\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)*\\)\\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 
-ini -interaction=nonstopmode \"&\\1\" " preview-format-name 
".ini \\5")
			     )
  preview-undump-replacements '(("\\`\\([^ ]+\\) .*? 
\"\\\\input\" \\(.*\\)\\'"
				"\\1 -interaction=nonstopmode \"&"
				preview-format-name "\" \\2")
			       )
  preview-auto-cache-preamble 'ask
  preview-TeX-style-dir 
"c:/Users/*******/work/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.88.2/latex"
  )

Output from running `c:/PROGRAM FILES/GS/BIN/GSWIN32C.EXE -h':
GPL Ghostscript 9.06 (2012-08-08)
Copyright (C) 2012 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
  -dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q 
`quiet', fewer messages
  -g<width>x<height>  page size in pixels   | -r<res> 
pixels/inch resolution
  -sDEVICE=<devname>  select device         | -dBATCH  exit 
after last file
  -sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, 
|command for pipe,
                                          embed %d or %ld 
for page #
Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 
PostScriptLevel3 PDF
Default output device: display
Available devices:
    bbox bit bitcmyk bitrgb bj10e bj200 bjc600 bjc800 bmp16 
bmp16m bmp256
    bmp32b bmpgray bmpmono bmpsep1 bmpsep8 cdeskjet cdj550 
cdjcolor cdjmono
    cups declj250 deskjet devicen display djet500 djet500c 
eps9high eps9mid
    epson epsonc epswrite ibmpro ijs jetp3852 jpeg jpegcmyk 
jpeggray laserjet
    lbp8 lj250 ljet2p ljet3 ljet3d ljet4 ljet4d ljetplus 
m8510 mswindll
    mswinpr2 necp6 nullpage pamcmyk32 pamcmyk4 pbm pbmraw 
pcx16 pcx24b pcx256
    pcxcmyk pcxgray pcxmono pdfwrite pgm pgmraw pgnm pgnmraw 
pj pjxl pjxl300
    pkmraw plan planc plang plank planm plib plibc plibg 
plibk plibm png16
    png16m png256 pngalpha pnggray pngmono pngmonod pnm 
pnmraw ppm ppmraw
    ps2write psdcmyk psdrgb psmono pswrite pxlcolor pxlmono 
r4081 spotcmyk
    st800 stcolor svg t4693d2 t4693d4 t4693d8 tek4696 
tiff12nc tiff24nc
    tiff32nc tiff48nc tiff64nc tiffcrle tiffg3 tiffg32d 
tiffg4 tiffgray
    tifflzw tiffpack tiffscaled tiffscaled24 tiffscaled8 
tiffsep tiffsep1
    txtwrite uniprint
Search path:
    C:\Program Files\gs\bin ; C:\Program Files\gs\lib ;
    C:\Program Files\gs\fonts ; %rom%Resource/Init/ ; 
%rom%lib/ ;
    c:/gs/gs9.06/Resource/Init ; c:/gs/gs9.06/lib ;
    c:/gs/gs9.06/Resource/Font ; c:/gs/fonts
Initialization files are compiled into the executable.
For more information, see c:/gs/gs9.06/doc/Use.htm.
Please report bugs to bugs.ghostscript.com.