Subject: bug#19724: 11.88; preview with pdftex not working

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:22:48 +0100

[email-masked] writes:

> Preview: Fontsize 10pt
> Preview: PDFoutput 1
> )  !name(testpreview.tex) !offset(-3)
> _region_.tex:15: Preview: Snippet 1 started
> Preview: Tightpage -32891 -32891 32891 32891
> _region_.tex:15: Preview: Snippet 1 ended.(655359+0x22609920)
> [1{C:/Users/pglpm/AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/pdftex/config/pdftex.map}]
> _region_.tex:17: Preview: Snippet 2 started
> _region_.tex:17: Preview: Snippet 2 ended.(455111+54613x2586081)
> [2]
> _region_.tex:19: Preview: Snippet 3 started
> _region_.tex:21: Preview: Snippet 3 ended.(812652+0x22609920)
> [3] )

Uh oh.  The error message format gives no hint to preview-latex about
the _column_ of the errors.  This absolutely cannot be fixed from within
preview-latex.  Try to see whether you can configure your pdftex to
produce a more TeX-like error message, or any other way for the error
message to show the problematic column (the latter may need further work
on preview-latex by the developers, but at least will move the problem
from the state of "unfixable").

If you can do so using some command line option, that can be configured
into AUCTeX's way of calling LaTeX, of course.

I see that your settings include

 LaTeX-command-style '((""
			"%(PDF)%(latex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)")
		       )

It would seem that the setting of %(file-line-error) chosen for MikTeX
precludes correct column info.  As a temporary measure, it might work to
do

M-x customize-variable RET LaTeX-command-style RET

and then removing the %(file-line-error) part from the customization
option.

-- 
David Kastrup