Subject: bug#19723: 24.4; octave.el; graphics window behaves incorrectly

From: Alan Barnett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:34:27 -0500

When I ran emacs and typed

M-x run-octave

emacs opened a buffer called *Inferior octave*
with octave running.

I then issued the octave plot command:
octave>plot(1:100)

The plot window appeared, but the pull-down menus, the buttons at the
bottom, and the close (x) button did not respond to mouse clicks.

The minimize button worked correctly.
The full-screen toggle button worked, but was buggy.
When I pushed the full-screen toggle button, the plot window did expand,
but the plot remained the same size and the menu bar and bottom buttons
were not displayed.
Manually changing the plot window size with the mouse resulted in the
same behavior.

The octave plot window behaves correctly when octave is run from a
console instead of from emacs.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
  of 2015-01-29 on cavu
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000

System Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Inferior Octave

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   compilation-shell-minor-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r u n - c o t a <tab> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> o c <tab> <return> p l o t
( 1 : 1 0 0 ) <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> q
u i t <return> <help-echo> <escape> x r e p o <tab>
r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/pkg/ess/lisp/ess-site...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/home/asb/emacs/octave hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/progmodes/octave

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils octave help-mode skeleton
texinfo gv derived pcase smie tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver ido ess-toolbar
ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb
ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l
ess-sas-a shell pcomplete ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs
make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug
format-spec ess-roxy advice hideshow ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args
eldoc help-fns ess-s-l ess ess-inf comint ansi-color ring ess-mode
ess-noweb-mode ess-utils ess-custom executable easymenu ess-compat
ess-site time time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 135847 9426)
  (symbols 48 24688 0)
  (miscs 40 116 148)
  (strings 32 29679 5165)
  (string-bytes 1 872076)
  (vectors 16 15978)
  (vector-slots 8 454151 8294)
  (floats 8 124 261)
  (intervals 56 279 0)
  (buffers 960 15)
  (heap 1024 32789 936))