Subject: Re: 25.0.50; (+ nil nil -1) in desktop-restore-frameset

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 20:06:49 +0000

Hello Sam, and Emacs.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 01:12:38PM -0500, Sam Steingold wrote:
> I get this error invariably when starting emacs:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
>   +(nil nil -1)
>   frameset-move-onscreen(#<frame Emacs 0x103146560> t)
>   frameset--restore-frame(((font-backend mac-ct) (fontsize . 0) (font . "-*-Menlo-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (border-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 2) (vertical-scroll-bars . right) (horizontal-scroll-bars) (foreground-color . "DarkSlateBlue") (background-color . "LightGray") (line-spacing) (left-fringe . 4) (right-fringe . 4) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (title) (icon-type) (auto-raise) (auto-lower) (cursor-type bar . 2) (scroll-bar-width . 15) (scroll-bar-height . 0) (alpha) (fullscreen . maximized) (display . "sds-MacBook-Pro.local") (display-type . color) (background-mode . light) (cursor-color . "Blue") (mouse-color . "Magenta") (visibility) (environment) (frameset--id . "062B-C257-B510-848F") (frameset--mini t) (modeline . t) (minibuffer . t) (unsplittable) (right-divider-width . 0) (bottom-divider-width . 0) (icon-name) (explicit-name) (tool-bar-position . top) (height . 35) (width . 81) (left + -1200) (top . 32)) (((min-height . 4) (min-width . 10) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 6) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 2) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 70) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 42) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 14)) leaf (pixel-width . 590) (pixel-height . 476) (total-width . 84) (total-height . 34) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (buffer "*scratch*" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 4 4 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 3 t nil 0 nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 1) (start . 1))) ((background-color . frameset-filter-sanitize-color) (buffer-list . :never) (buffer-predicate . :never) (buried-buffer-list . :never) (font . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (foreground-color . frameset-filter-sanitize-color) (fullscreen . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (GUI:font . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:fullscreen . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:height . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:width . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (height . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (outer-window-id . :never) (parent-id . :never) (tty . frameset-filter-tty-to-GUI) (tty-type . frameset-filter-tty-to-GUI) (width . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (window-id . :never) (window-system . :never) (name . :never) (left . frameset-filter-iconified) (minibuffer . frameset-filter-minibuffer) (top . frameset-filter-iconified)) t)
>   frameset-restore([frameset 1 (21703 54246 125901 0) (desktop . "206") "[email-masked]" nil nil ((((font-backend mac-ct) (fontsize . 0) (font . "-*-Menlo-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (border-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 2) (vertical-scroll-bars . right) (horizontal-scroll-bars) (foreground-color . "DarkSlateBlue") (background-color . "LightGray") (line-spacing) (left-fringe . 4) (right-fringe . 4) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (title) (icon-type) (auto-raise) (auto-lower) (cursor-type bar . 2) (scroll-bar-width . 15) (scroll-bar-height . 0) (alpha) (fullscreen . maximized) (display . "sds-MacBook-Pro.local") (display-type . color) (background-mode . light) (cursor-color . "Blue") (mouse-color . "Magenta") (visibility) (environment) (frameset--id . "062B-C257-B510-848F") (frameset--mini t) (modeline . t) (minibuffer . t) (unsplittable) (right-divider-width . 0) (bottom-divider-width . 0) (icon-name) (explicit-name) (tool-bar-position . top) (height . 35) (width . 81) (left + -1200) (top . 32)) ((min-height . 4) (min-width . 10) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 6) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 2) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 70) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 42) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 14)) leaf (pixel-width . 590) (pixel-height . 476) (total-width . 84) (total-height . 34) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (buffer "*scratch*" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 4 4 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 3 t nil 0 nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 1) (start . 1))) (((font-backend mac-ct) (fontsize . 0) (font . "-*-Menlo-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (border-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 2) (vertical-scroll-bars . right) (horizontal-scroll-bars) (foreground-color . "DarkSlateBlue") (background-color . "LightGray") (line-spacing) (left-fringe . 4) (right-fringe . 4) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (title) (icon-type) (auto-raise) (auto-lower) (cursor-type bar . 2) (scroll-bar-width . 15) (scroll-bar-height . 0) (alpha) (fullscreen . maximized) (display . "sds-MacBook-Pro.local") (display-type . color) (background-mode . light) (cursor-color . "Blue") (mouse-color . "Magenta") (visibility . t) (environment) (frameset--id . "57B5-D002-B07E-BCE3") (frameset--mini t . t) (modeline . t) (minibuffer . t) (unsplittable) (right-divider-width . 0) (bottom-divider-width . 0) (icon-name) (explicit-name) (tool-bar-position . top) (height . 60) (width . 201) (left . 0) (top . 30)) ((min-height . 4) (min-width . 20) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 12) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 4) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 140) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 84) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 28)) hc (pixel-width . 1434) (pixel-height . 826) (total-width . 205) (total-height . 59) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (combination-limit) (leaf (pixel-width . 720) (pixel-height . 826) (total-width . 103) (total-height . 59) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "[email-masked]" (selected . t) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 4 4 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 3 t nil 0 nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 470743) (start . 467481))) (leaf (last . t) (pixel-width . 714) (pixel-height . 826) (total-width . 102) (total-height . 59) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "util.py" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 4 4 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 3 t nil 0 nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 2996) (start . 2942)))))] :reuse-frames t :cleanup-frames t :force-display nil :force-onscreen t)
>   desktop-restore-frameset()
>   desktop-read()
>   #[0 "\305\211\235\203
>   command-line()
>   normal-top-level()

> In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, NS appkit-1343.16 Version 10.10.1 (Build 14B25))
>  of 2015-01-27 on sds-MacBook-Pro.home
> Repository revision: c7effd7cacc5505933c32221bb25bea791b589e0
> Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1343
> Configured using:
>  `configure --with-ns'

[ .... ]

Well, I've just got this one (or something very similar) on a recent
emacs-25 build (last update: 5cf012a3a86e700b5f229fc14d9abd1e27fdb5f4 on
Sunday 2015-11-29).

It happened on a Linux virtual terminal.  I'd recently taken the
following out of my .emacs:

    (setq desktop-restore-frames nil)

, which I originally put in in May 2014 to avoid a bug (quite possibly
this one).

I'll admit I'd been playing at switching the desktop version back and
forth between 206 and 208.  At the time of the error it was on 208.

The scenario which triggered the bug for me was:

    M-x desktop-clear
    M-x desktop-read

, and the dump I got (after enabling debug-on-error) was:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
  +(nil 240 -1)
  frameset-move-onscreen(#<frame F1 0xbfabd0> t)
  frameset--restore-frame(((tty-type . "linux") (tty . "/dev/tty") (display-type . color) (background-mode . dark) (foreground-color . "unspecified-fg") (cursor-color . "white") (acm-no . 0) (vertical-scroll-bars) (menu-bar-lines . 0) (too\l-bar-lines . 0) (background-color . "unspecified-bg") (font . "tty") (height . 67) (width . 240) (modeline . t) (unsplittable) (frameset--id . "4FF5-06E5-E76B-FA10") (frameset--mini t) (minibuffer . t)) (((min-height . 4) (min-width . 20)\ (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 4) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 4) (min-pixel-height . 4) (min-pixel-width . 20) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 2) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 4) (min-pixel-height-safe . 1) (min-pixel-widt\h-safe . 4)) hc (pixel-width . 240) (pixel-height . 66) (total-width . 240) (total-height . 66) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (combination-limit) (leaf (pixel-width . 120) (pixel-height . 66) (total-width . 120) (total-height \. 66) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer ".emacs.desktop" (selected . t) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 0 0 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 0 t nil 0 t) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 11509) (start . 8014))) (leaf (last . t\) (pixel-width . 120) (pixel-height . 66) (total-width . 120) (total-height . 66) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "*Warnings*" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 0 0 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 0 t nil 0 t) (vscro\ll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 127) (start . 1)))) ((background-color . frameset-filter-sanitize-color) (buffer-list . :never) (buffer-predicate . :never) (buried-buffer-list . :never) (font . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (foreground-color \. frameset-filter-sanitize-color) (fullscreen . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (GUI:font . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:fullscreen . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:height . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:width . frameset\-filter-unshelve-param) (height . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (outer-window-id . :never) (parent-id . :never) (tty . frameset-filter-tty-to-GUI) (tty-type . frameset-filter-tty-to-GUI) (width . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (window-id . \:never) (window-system . :never) (name . :never) (left . frameset-filter-iconified) (minibuffer . frameset-filter-minibuffer) (top . frameset-filter-iconified)) t)
  frameset-restore([frameset 1 (22111 17960 190515 878000) (desktop . "208") "acm@acm" nil nil ((((tty-type . "linux") (tty . "/dev/tty") (display-type . color) (background-mode . dark) (foreground-color . "unspecified-fg") (cursor-color .\ "white") (acm-no . 0) (vertical-scroll-bars) (menu-bar-lines . 0) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (background-color . "unspecified-bg") (font . "tty") (height . 67) (width . 240) (modeline . t) (unsplittable) (frameset--id . "4FF5-06E5-E76B-FA10") (\frameset--mini t) (minibuffer . t)) ((min-height . 4) (min-width . 20) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 4) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 4) (min-pixel-height . 4) (min-pixel-width . 20) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 2) (m\in-pixel-width-ignore . 4) (min-pixel-height-safe . 1) (min-pixel-width-safe . 4)) hc (pixel-width . 240) (pixel-height . 66) (total-width . 240) (total-height . 66) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (combination-limit) (leaf (pix\el-width . 120) (pixel-height . 66) (total-width . 120) (total-height . 66) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer ".emacs.desktop" (selected . t) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 0 0 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 0 t nil 0 t) (vsc\roll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 11509) (start . 8014))) (leaf (last . t) (pixel-width . 120) (pixel-height . 66) (total-width . 120) (total-height . 66) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "*Warnings*" (selected) (hscroll . 0\) (fringes 0 0 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 0 t nil 0 t) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 127) (start . 1)))))] :reuse-frames t :cleanup-frames t :force-display nil :force-onscreen t)
  desktop-restore-frameset()
  desktop-read()
  funcall-interactively(desktop-read)
  call-interactively(desktop-read record nil)
  command-execute(desktop-read record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "desktop-read" nil)
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "desktop-read" nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

> -- 
> Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1343
> http://www.childpsy.net/ http://www.memritv.org http://ffii.org
> http://camera.org http://mideasttruth.com http://dhimmi.org
> I am always late to my punctuality class.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).