Subject: bug#19706: 25.0.50; (+ nil nil -1) in desktop-restore-frameset

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 13:12:38 -0500

I get this error invariably when starting emacs:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
  +(nil nil -1)
  frameset-move-onscreen(#<frame Emacs 0x103146560> t)
  frameset--restore-frame(((font-backend mac-ct) (fontsize . 0) (font . "-*-Menlo-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (border-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 2) (vertical-scroll-bars . right) (horizontal-scroll-bars) (foreground-color . "DarkSlateBlue") (background-color . "LightGray") (line-spacing) (left-fringe . 4) (right-fringe . 4) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (title) (icon-type) (auto-raise) (auto-lower) (cursor-type bar . 2) (scroll-bar-width . 15) (scroll-bar-height . 0) (alpha) (fullscreen . maximized) (display . "sds-MacBook-Pro.local") (display-type . color) (background-mode . light) (cursor-color . "Blue") (mouse-color . "Magenta") (visibility) (environment) (frameset--id . "062B-C257-B510-848F") (frameset--mini t) (modeline . t) (minibuffer . t) (unsplittable) (right-divider-width . 0) (bottom-divider-width . 0) (icon-name) (explicit-name) (tool-bar-position . top) (height . 35) (width . 81) (left + -1200) (top . 32)) (((min-height . 4) (min-width . 10) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 6) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 2) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 70) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 42) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 14)) leaf (pixel-width . 590) (pixel-height . 476) (total-width . 84) (total-height . 34) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (buffer "*scratch*" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 4 4 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 3 t nil 0 nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 1) (start . 1))) ((background-color . frameset-filter-sanitize-color) (buffer-list . :never) (buffer-predicate . :never) (buried-buffer-list . :never) (font . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (foreground-color . frameset-filter-sanitize-color) (fullscreen . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (GUI:font . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:fullscreen . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:height . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (GUI:width . frameset-filter-unshelve-param) (height . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (outer-window-id . :never) (parent-id . :never) (tty . frameset-filter-tty-to-GUI) (tty-type . frameset-filter-tty-to-GUI) (width . frameset-filter-shelve-param) (window-id . :never) (window-system . :never) (name . :never) (left . frameset-filter-iconified) (minibuffer . frameset-filter-minibuffer) (top . frameset-filter-iconified)) t)
  frameset-restore([frameset 1 (21703 54246 125901 0) (desktop . "206") "[email-masked]" nil nil ((((font-backend mac-ct) (fontsize . 0) (font . "-*-Menlo-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (border-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 2) (vertical-scroll-bars . right) (horizontal-scroll-bars) (foreground-color . "DarkSlateBlue") (background-color . "LightGray") (line-spacing) (left-fringe . 4) (right-fringe . 4) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (title) (icon-type) (auto-raise) (auto-lower) (cursor-type bar . 2) (scroll-bar-width . 15) (scroll-bar-height . 0) (alpha) (fullscreen . maximized) (display . "sds-MacBook-Pro.local") (display-type . color) (background-mode . light) (cursor-color . "Blue") (mouse-color . "Magenta") (visibility) (environment) (frameset--id . "062B-C257-B510-848F") (frameset--mini t) (modeline . t) (minibuffer . t) (unsplittable) (right-divider-width . 0) (bottom-divider-width . 0) (icon-name) (explicit-name) (tool-bar-position . top) (height . 35) (width . 81) (left + -1200) (top . 32)) ((min-height . 4) (min-width . 10) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 6) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 2) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 70) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 42) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 14)) leaf (pixel-width . 590) (pixel-height . 476) (total-width . 84) (total-height . 34) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (buffer "*scratch*" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 4 4 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 3 t nil 0 nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 1) (start . 1))) (((font-backend mac-ct) (fontsize . 0) (font . "-*-Menlo-normal-normal-normal-*-12-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1") (border-width . 0) (internal-border-width . 2) (vertical-scroll-bars . right) (horizontal-scroll-bars) (foreground-color . "DarkSlateBlue") (background-color . "LightGray") (line-spacing) (left-fringe . 4) (right-fringe . 4) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (title) (icon-type) (auto-raise) (auto-lower) (cursor-type bar . 2) (scroll-bar-width . 15) (scroll-bar-height . 0) (alpha) (fullscreen . maximized) (display . "sds-MacBook-Pro.local") (display-type . color) (background-mode . light) (cursor-color . "Blue") (mouse-color . "Magenta") (visibility . t) (environment) (frameset--id . "57B5-D002-B07E-BCE3") (frameset--mini t . t) (modeline . t) (minibuffer . t) (unsplittable) (right-divider-width . 0) (bottom-divider-width . 0) (icon-name) (explicit-name) (tool-bar-position . top) (height . 60) (width . 201) (left . 0) (top . 30)) ((min-height . 4) (min-width . 20) (min-height-ignore . 2) (min-width-ignore . 12) (min-height-safe . 1) (min-width-safe . 4) (min-pixel-height . 56) (min-pixel-width . 140) (min-pixel-height-ignore . 28) (min-pixel-width-ignore . 84) (min-pixel-height-safe . 14) (min-pixel-width-safe . 28)) hc (pixel-width . 1434) (pixel-height . 826) (total-width . 205) (total-height . 59) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 1.0) (combination-limit) (leaf (pixel-width . 720) (pixel-height . 826) (total-width . 103) (total-height . 59) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "[email-masked]" (selected . t) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 4 4 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 3 t nil 0 nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 470743) (start . 467481))) (leaf (last . t) (pixel-width . 714) (pixel-height . 826) (total-width . 102) (total-height . 59) (normal-height . 1.0) (normal-width . 0.5) (buffer "util.py" (selected) (hscroll . 0) (fringes 4 4 nil) (margins nil) (scroll-bars nil 3 t nil 0 nil) (vscroll . 0) (dedicated) (point . 2996) (start . 2942)))))] :reuse-frames t :cleanup-frames t :force-display nil :force-onscreen t)
  desktop-restore-frameset()
  desktop-read()
  #[0 "\305\211\235\203\306\"\301\307!\210\210	\205(\n\205 \205 \310 ?\311 \210\312\211)\207" [command-line-args desktop-save-mode desktop-restore-frames initial-window-system inhibit-startup-screen "--no-desktop" delete 0 daemonp desktop-read t] 4]()
  run-hooks(after-init-hook)
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, NS appkit-1343.16 Version 10.10.1 (Build 14B25))
 of 2015-01-27 on sds-MacBook-Pro.home
Repository revision: c7effd7cacc5505933c32221bb25bea791b589e0
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1343
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns'

Configured features:
IMAGEMAGICK ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: VC dir

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Running hg root . in foreground...
Running hg root ....OK = 0
Running hg id -b . in foreground...
Running hg id -b ....OK = 0
Running hg id -t . in foreground...
Running hg id -t ....OK = 0
Running hg status -mardu -C ./ in background... done
Running git --no-pager update-index --refresh . in background... done
Running git --no-pager diff-index --relative -z -M HEAD -- . in background... done
Running git --no-pager ls-files -z -o --directory --no-empty-directory --exclude-standard -- . in background... done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win emacsbug message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs edmacro kmacro add-log help-mode debug
dired pig-mode vc-hg vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode python json package epg-config warnings midnight gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev
bbdb-loaddefs bbdb bbdb-site timezone rcirc server which-func imenu
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-macs eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra seq cconv eieio-core cl-generic pcase gnus-util
mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars paren help-at-pt desktop
frameset cus-start cus-load ido ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt
browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug format-spec ess-roxy advice
help-fns hideshow ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args ess-s-l ess ess-inf
comint ansi-color ring ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils ess-custom
executable easymenu ess-compat ess-site cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process cocoa ns
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 386741 28502)
 (symbols 48 62384 0)
 (miscs 40 6179 65)
 (strings 32 171496 9606)
 (string-bytes 1 4017690)
 (vectors 16 44888)
 (vector-slots 8 722950 6251)
 (floats 8 343 212)
 (intervals 56 3843 93)
 (buffers 976 53))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1343
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://www.memritv.org http://ffii.org
http://camera.org http://mideasttruth.com http://dhimmi.org
I am always late to my punctuality class.