Subject: bug#19701: closed (Re: bug#19701: 24.3; directory-files platform-dependent behaviour when directory doesn't exist)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 19:08:03 +0000

Your bug report

#19701: 24.3; directory-files platform-dependent behaviour when directory doesn't exist

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19701: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19701
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19701: 24.3; directory-files platform-dependent behaviour when directory doesn't exist
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: VIDA Gábor <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 21:07:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: VIDA Gábor <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 13:55:35 +0100
> 
> On Linux when I specify a non-existing directory to directory-files, it signals an
> error:
> 
>   (directory-files "abcd")
>   eval: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /home/evidgbo/tmp/abcd
> 
> But on Windows, it returns nil:
> 
>   (directory-files "abcd")
>   => nil

That is correct.

> I think they should work tha same way regardless of the underlying
> system, and it ends up in a Gnus error, what I will report
> separately once I understand that problem better.

The Windows implementation of directory-files always worked like that;
I looked as far back as Emacs 21.4.  (Technically, this happened
because the Windows implementation of 'opendir' doesn't actually open
the directory, so it doesn't know.)

This was never a problem, though.  What exactly does Gnus do that this
subtlety gets in the way?

In any case, I fixed this in commit 9664def on the emacs-24 branch.

Thanks.

Subject: 24.3; directory-files platform-dependent behaviour when directory doesn't exist
From: VIDA Gábor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 13:55:35 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

On Linux when I specify a non-existing directory to directory-files, it signals an
error:

  (directory-files "abcd")
  eval: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /home/evidgbo/tmp/abcd

But on Windows, it returns nil:

  (directory-files "abcd")
  => nil

I think they should work tha same way regardless of the underlying system, and it
ends up in a Gnus error, what I will report separately once I understand that problem
better.

I used the official Windows version:

  GNU EMacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN

--
Thanks and regards,
Gábor Vida

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
 of 2014-03-07 on lamiak, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-x r e p o r t 
- e m a c - <backspace> s - u g <backspace> <backspace> 
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)