Subject: 24.4; Message in minibuffer put by y-or-n-p function does not disappear after pressing 'y' key

From: Mark Karpov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 15:21:52 +0600

***

I use the following alias in my .emacs file:

(defalias 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)

It works OK, but when I press 'y' key in response to the query,
necessary actions are carried, but minibuffer prompt remains visible
until I press any key. For example, I see:

Buffer "*shell*" has a running process; kill it? (y or n) y

when the process has been already killed. I find it really confusing.

I can reproduce this starting emacs with -Q flag and evaluating
'(defalias 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)' in scratch.

                                  ***

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.7)
 of 2015-01-18 on bisson
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11603000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  fci-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  smooth-scroll-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-fill-mode: 1

Recent input:
M-x s h <return> l s <return> C-x k <return> y M-x 
r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/mark/quicklisp/slime-helper.elc...done
Starting new Ispell process /usr/bin/aspell with default dictionary...
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
 *Minibuf-0*
Buffer "*shell*" has a running process; kill it? (y or n) y

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message idna format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils shell pcomplete disp-table
fill-column-indicator rainbow-delimiters flycheck find-func help-mode rx
subr-x flyspell ispell solarized-dark-theme solarized dash autorevert
filenotify which-func imenu paren minibuf-eldef time delsel byte-opt
slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch
slime-presentations bridge slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
eldoc help-fns slime-repl slime-parse slime compile etags arc-mode
archive-mode noutline outline easy-mmode pp comint ansi-color ring
hyperspec thingatpt browse-url slime-autoloads cl-macs bytecomp
byte-compile cconv smooth-scroll server cl gv finder-inf edmacro kmacro
cl-loaddefs cl-lib info easymenu package epg-config time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 217054 117321)
 (symbols 48 30233 1)
 (miscs 40 354 1294)
 (strings 32 50336 49422)
 (string-bytes 1 1351856)
 (vectors 16 22631)
 (vector-slots 8 524820 26735)
 (floats 8 161 385)
 (intervals 56 283 145)
 (buffers 960 11)
 (heap 1024 34615 3053))