Subject: bug#19695: closed (24.4; python.el: [RFE] add customization option for send-main )

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 04:24:03 +0000

Your bug report

#19695: 24.4; python.el: [RFE] add customization option for send-main 

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19695: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19695
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: 24.4; python.el: [RFE] add customization option for send-main
From: [email-masked] (Fabián Ezequiel Gallina)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 01:23:30 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Carlos,

I agree that the least surprising thing to do would be to send the
"if-name-main" block, but in the other hand this block generally
contains the execution code for the module and when working on it you
generally don't want to send that to the shell (one of the reasons may
be safety).  So I think the current way of enabling this by just adding
a prefix argument to `python-shell-send*` commands is better than adding
yet another customization.

Cheers,
Fabián

Subject: 24.4; python.el: [RFE] add customization option for send-main
From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:18:38 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The send buffer behavior doesn't quite follows the principle of least
surprise as currently implemented: one would expect that the
if-name-main part will be executed the same everything else is. While I
agree this is a matter of taste, I think it would be nice to add a
global customization option for people that prefer the standard "execute
all" behavior as a default.

Cheers
--
Carlos