Subject: bug#19694: closed (Re: bug#19694: 24.4; --insert command-line switch does not behave as documented)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 17:45:03 +0000

Your bug report

#19694: 24.4; --insert command-line switch does not behave as documented

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19694: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19694
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19694: 24.4; --insert command-line switch does not behave as documented
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:44:01 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 21:48:33 -0600
> From: [email-masked]
> 
> The emacs info manual states that the command-line option --insert=FILE
> will "Insert the contents of FILE into the `*scratch*' buffer."
> However, whether this option works as documented depends on where it
> appears in the command line.  Thus:
> 
> emacs --insert=file1 file2
> 
> brings up file2 in a buffer with that name, and places the contents of
> file1 in *scratch*, as documented.  But:
> 
> emacs file1 --insert=file2
> 
> which the documentation states should put file1 in a buffer with that
> name and the contents of file2 in *scratch*, instead brings up a buffer
> with file1's name, containing the contents of file2 followed by the
> contents of file1, and leaves *scratch* empty.

Thanks, I fixed the manual.  ("emacs --help" described this option
correctly.)

Subject: 24.4; --insert command-line switch does not behave as documented
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 21:48:33 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The emacs info manual states that the command-line option --insert=FILE
will "Insert the contents of FILE into the `*scratch*' buffer."
However, whether this option works as documented depends on where it
appears in the command line.  Thus:

emacs --insert=file1 file2

brings up file2 in a buffer with that name, and places the contents of
file1 in *scratch*, as documented.  But:

emacs file1 --insert=file2

which the documentation states should put file1 in a buffer with that
name and the contents of file2 in *scratch*, instead brings up a buffer
with file1's name, containing the contents of file2 followed by the
contents of file1, and leaves *scratch* empty.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2015-01-10 on evo
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
 --disable-silent-rules --libdir=/usr/lib --program-suffix=-emacs-24
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=games --without-compress-install
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --with-dbus
 --without-gnutls --with-gpm --without-hesiod --without-kerberos
 --without-kerberos5 --without-xml2 --without-selinux --without-wide-int
 --with-zlib --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-gif
 --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm
 --without-imagemagick --without-xft --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --with-x-toolkit=no GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.4-r1
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native -pipe' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <escape> x r e
p o SPC r SPC SPC SPC SPC <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu site-gentoo time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 73138 8078)
 (symbols 24 17526 0)
 (miscs 20 78 193)
 (strings 16 9187 4169)
 (string-bytes 1 255511)
 (vectors 8 9069)
 (vector-slots 4 381647 6050)
 (floats 8 66 281)
 (intervals 28 372 377)
 (buffers 512 13)
 (heap 1024 34691 462))