Subject: bug#19691: closed (24.4; python.el: indentation RFE)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 03:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19691: 24.4; python.el: indentation RFE

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19691: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19691
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: 24.4; python.el: indentation RFE
From: [email-masked] (Fabián Ezequiel Gallina)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:52:32 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 19691 + notabug
quit

Hi Carlos,

The functionality already exists, it's a matter of toggling
`electric-indent-mode` OR alternate between using RET and `C-j` for
creating a newline (depending the case).

When `electric-indent-mode` is enabled, you can achieve what you want by
using `C-j`, while RET would indent just like you see right now.

When `electric-indent-mode` is disabled, you can achieve what you want
by using RET, and `C-j` would indent.

If what you want is to keep the current column in places where there are
several indentation levels involved, then `C-a C-j` or `C-a RET`
(depending on the status `electric-indent-mode`) will help.

Cheers,
Fabián

Subject: 24.4; python.el: indentation RFE
From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:25:18 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When you're in a blank line and press Enter, IMHO it would be better if
python.el kept the cursor column position, instead of restoring the last
non-blank line indentation level.

For example, say the cursor is X:

def f():
    pass
X

When I press Enter most often I don't want to get:

def f():
    pass

    X

Instead, I think a more sensible default behaviour would be:

def f():
    pass

X

That is, to keep the cursor vertical position. This is consistent with
the criterion of auto-indenting up to the indentation of last (both
blank or non-blank) line, except for the technicality that a blank last
line is not really indented... although you still have a point position
there to infer desired indentation for the new line.

Maybe this should be made a customizable option.

What do you think? I'll try to submit a patch later today.