Subject: 24.4; python.el: indentation RFE

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:25:18 -0300

When you're in a blank line and press Enter, IMHO it would be better if
python.el kept the cursor column position, instead of restoring the last
non-blank line indentation level.

For example, say the cursor is X:

def f():
    pass
X

When I press Enter most often I don't want to get:

def f():
    pass

    X

Instead, I think a more sensible default behaviour would be:

def f():
    pass

X

That is, to keep the cursor vertical position. This is consistent with
the criterion of auto-indenting up to the indentation of last (both
blank or non-blank) line, except for the technicality that a blank last
line is not really indented... although you still have a point position
there to infer desired indentation for the new line.

Maybe this should be made a customizable option.

What do you think? I'll try to submit a patch later today.