Subject: bug#19682: 25.0.50; `other-window' doc string should say that by default it selects win in same frame

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 18:05:36 +0200

> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 19:33:46 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> The doc string does not describe the default behavior: select another
> window in the same frame, if there is one.
> 
> The doc string refers to the doc for `next-window', for the reader to
> find out what ALL-FRAMES does - even for the default, nil, case.
> 
> It is fine to refer to `next-window' for ALL-FRAMES (e.g. for full
> understanding and for non-interactive use).  But surely the default
> interactive behavior should be described.

The doc string says:

  This function uses `next-window' for finding the window to
  select.  The argument ALL-FRAMES has the same meaning as in
  `next-window', but the MINIBUF argument of `next-window' is
  always effectively nil.

This is a very clear invitation to read the documentation of
'next-window', if the reader cares about which window will be
selected.  If the reader indeed goes there, she will find there the
details of what you wanted her to know.

OTOH, many uses of 'other-window' don't really care about the order
and the candidates, in which case that argument is of no importance
for them.

So I see no reason to think this doc strings lacks something
important.