Subject: Re: bug#19662: 24.4: history bloat and navigation trouble

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 13:47:48 +1100

Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:

> Whenever I use the 'r' or 'l' keys in eww-mode, to eww-forward-url or
> eww-back-url in the history list, the size of the history increases.
> This seems to me to be wrong. Also, this behaviour seems to make it
> impossible (for me, at least) to traverse the entire history this way,
> unless I do so in a straight sequence (eg. all eww-back-url without ever
> using eww-forward-url).

The eww history navigation is, er, original, but it's trying to solve
the problem of "how do I get back to the page I saw just a few minutes
ago".

If you're on page A, then moves to B, then moves back to A, and then
moves to C, then getting back to B in eww is <back>, <back>.  Because
that's the page you saw two pages ago.

In Firefox, if you do the same, <back> will get you to A, and then
there's no more <back>, and you can never visit B by either going back
or forward.

And it seems to me like your proposed change would have the same effect.

If anybody has a better way of registering the history (that still
wouldn't "forget" B, like Firefox does), I'm all ears.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/