Subject: Re: bug#19662: 24.4: history bloat and navigation trouble

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 13:04:21 +1100

Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:

> No. What ends up happening is that the sequence of the history list is
> preserved, so you can always go back to B. It has the advantage of
> reducing bloat, and if one scrolls through history much, that bloat can
> be great.
>
> I can see two uses for a history:
> 1] a log of the sequence in which pages were visited;
> 2] a list of visited places, in original sequence order.
>
> For me, #2 is far and away more useful.

The current history implementation also preserves the point position,
which is probably different in each frame.  Which may or may not be
helpful.

I agree that the current way of recording the history may be overkill,
but I've also found it very handy because it's so predictable.  <back>
<back> always, without fail, takes you back to the page you were at two
commands ago, no matter what the command was...

> One problem with the current eww implementation is that once one does
> something like A B C D C B, it becomes difficult to get to E using
> commands l/r

Where is E in that sequence of pages?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/