Subject: 24.4; eww-browse-url loses session and history

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:26:13 -0500

In the following three examples, eww-browse-url causes eww
to lose its history and session record: 1) when called from
outside emacs (eg. emacsclient -e ); 2) when called from a
buffer other than `*eww*'; and 3) when called from the
minibuffer while another visible buffer is current.

Here's a version with the simple fix:

(defun my-eww-browse-url  (url)
  (interactive "sEnter URL: ")
  (when (get-buffer "*eww*")
    (switch-to-buffer "*eww*"))
   (eww-browse-url url))

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2014-12-09 on gaia, modified by Debian
System Description:	Debian 7.0 GNU/Linux wheezy/testing

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=no --without-gconf --without-gsettings 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  desktop-save-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-favicon hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-favicon
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-symbol hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-symbol
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/bookmark-w3m hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/bookmark-w3m
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/mime-w3m hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/mime-w3m
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-filter hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-filter
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-ccl hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-ccl
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-namazu hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-namazu
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-ems hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-ems
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/octet hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/octet
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-bookmark hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-bookmark
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-perldoc hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-perldoc
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-dtree hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-dtree
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-session hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-session
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-mail hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-mail
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-search hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-search
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3mhack hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3mhack
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-proc hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-proc
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-tabmenu hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-tabmenu
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-rss hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-rss
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/mew-w3m hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/mew-w3m
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-image hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-image
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-hist hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-hist
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-lnum hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-lnum
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-form hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-form
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-cookie hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-cookie
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-weather hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-weather
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-bug hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-bug
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-fb hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-fb
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-antenna hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-antenna
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/w3m-20140107.1708/w3m-util hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/w3m/w3m-util
/home/boruch/.emacs.d/elpa/csv-mode-1.2/csv-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/csv-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/cdargs hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cdargs
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert-x hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/slime/lib/ert-x
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-lib hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/slime/lib/cl-lib
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/slime/lib/ert

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev ...)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1043076 35535)
 (symbols 48 49941 0)
 (miscs 40 3608 4131)
 (strings 32 211545 17576)
 (string-bytes 1 6527905)
 (vectors 16 56912)
 (vector-slots 8 1760199 36350)
 (floats 8 512 1702)
 (intervals 56 139256 3953)
 (buffers 960 130)
 (heap 1024 69149 12252))

-- 
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0