Subject: bug#19636: [TRAMP] global minor mode hangs connection when accessing files in :lighter

From: Philippe Vaucher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 17:46:58 +0200

>
> > Basically, do nothing if there's no reliable way of getting the
> > information yet (we are remote and not connected yet).
>
> Sounds reasonable for me, thanks for reporting the status. I also
> recommend to test with the development version of Emacs (aka 26.0.50),
> because there have been serious changes in Tramp.
>

Good idea.

> > This seems to repair the issue almost always, except for TRAMP 2.2.11
> > (the one in emacs 24.5).
>
> Well, I don't see what could be done else here on emacs-devel. What do
> you expect us to do else?
>

Oh, I was just reporting my findings. Not much you can do except keep in
mind people *do* call various emacs api on buffer-file inside :lighter or
even inside the function that has to decide wether a mode should be on or
off, so the emacs api should be resilient to errors reguarding this.
Currently it fails kinda catastrophically when you don't check with
`file-remote-p` beforehand (emacs hang and one has to furiously press C-g
or C-c to get emacs back, and often this is not sufficient as any command
you want to type hangs again, so one has to quit).

Philippe