Subject: bug#19628: closed (Re: bug#19628: 25.0.50; doc of button functions)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 19:24:03 +0000

Your bug report

#19628: 25.0.50; doc of button functions

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19628: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19628
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19628: 25.0.50; doc of button functions
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 21:23:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:51:20 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> As I said, in `Manipulating Buttons', for example, the description of
> `button-activate' refers to "BUTTON's `action' property".  That property
> is not explained there, so there should be a cross-ref from there to the
> place where it is described: `Button Properties'.

OK, I added a few words about 'action' there.  (Having a
cross-reference just to save a sentence or two didn't sound right.)

Subject: 25.0.50; doc of button functions
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 08:20:52 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The doc of `make-button', `insert-button', and `insert-text-button' just
mentions "a sequence of PROPERTY VALUE pairs, specifying properties to
add to the button", without saying anything about the text properties
that are special for these functions.  This is true for both the doc
strings and the Elisp manual (node `Making Buttons').

Some text properties, such as `face' and `follow-link' are common, used
generally, and are explained elsewhere.  But others, such as `action',
seem to be special to the button code and these functions.  So they
should be mentioned in this doc.

Property `action' is mentioned for function `button-activate'
(e.g. nodes `Button Properties', `Manipulating Buttons', and `Button
Buffer Commands').  But it and any other properties specific to the
button functions should be called out where we speak of such properties.
Or else such doc should refer to some location where we do specify such
properties.

What's more, the doc strings of `push-button' and `button-activate' need
to mention property `action', just as the Elisp doc for them does.  It
is not sufficient for the doc strings to simply refer to the  "normal
action" of the button, without saying what that means.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-20 on LEG570
Bzr revision: 118168 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'