Subject: bug#19622: 25.0.50; Spell checking and Unicode don't mix...

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:44:08 -0500

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 18:20:11 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 08:15:01 -0500
> > From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > 
> > > It's up to the speller, so it isn't an Emacs
> > > problem/bug/issue.  The characters that are word constituent
> > > are stated in the .aff file for the language you use, and they
> > > come with the speller (and are tailored to what the speller
> > > does and doesn't know about the word structure). Emacs cannot
> > > fix that.
> > 
> > Emacs could replace punctuation on its way down the pipe to
> > the inferior process if it wishes to as a stop gap.
> 
> Wouldn't some users object to such replacements?  They could mask
> mis-spelled words.

Then make it a knob the user can configure in their init file.

> Also, how would Emacs know that the replacement will DTRT with the
> speller which is being used?

The user can decide on their own if it does what they want. No need
to make such a thing the default or mandatory, it is sufficient if a
hook exists for the purpose for those that want to use it.

> IOW, I'm not at all sure this is a problem that Emacs could and
> should fix.  Why not report it upstream to the developers of the
> speller you use?

I may do that as well, but there's nothing wrong with having more
than one way to get around the problem, and releases of the spell
checkers commonly used by emacs users are sometimes many years apart.

-- 
Perry E. Metzger		[email-masked]