Subject: bug#19617: bug in split

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 10:12:15 -0700

tag 19617 notabug
thanks

On 01/16/2015 02:15 AM, Tim Stamp wrote:
> Good morning,
> 
> I noticed that the split command doesn't update the file modified time of
> the destination split files as it writes to them, it only updates the file
> modified time when the split completes.

split doesn't explicitly modify timestamps at all.  The behavior you are
seeing is solely a function of your kernel and filesystem options, in
relation to the timing between coreutils flushes and closes each file
that it has written.

> Is this a known issue?

It's normal behavior.  Even if there were something to patch, you would
have to get it fixed in the kernel, not in split.

Therefore, I'm closing this as not a bug, although you should feel
welcome to ask further questions as needed on this thread.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org