Subject: bug#19608: closed (Re: bug#19608: 25.0.50; Elisp manual: add index entry for major modes killing local variables)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 17:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19608: 25.0.50; Elisp manual: add index entry for major modes killing local variables

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19608: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19608
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19608: 25.0.50; Elisp manual: add index entry for major modes killing local variables
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 19:33:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 08:56:01 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> I've seen a few times now the question posed as to why local variables
> that have been set become unset.  Users who asked sometimes looked for
> info in the Elisp manual but didn't find it.
> 
> Please consider adding an index entry that might help users get there
> when looking up local variable information.  Dunno what the best such
> entry/entries might be.  Perhap something like:
> 
> "local variables, killed automatically" or "local variables, killed by
> major modes".  Anyway, you get the idea.

Done.

Subject: 25.0.50; Elisp manual: add index entry for major modes killing local variables
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 08:56:01 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've seen a few times now the question posed as to why local variables
that have been set become unset.  Users who asked sometimes looked for
info in the Elisp manual but didn't find it.

Please consider adding an index entry that might help users get there
when looking up local variable information.  Dunno what the best such
entry/entries might be.  Perhap something like:

"local variables, killed automatically" or "local variables, killed by
major modes".  Anyway, you get the idea.

Here is one such question: http://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/7391/105.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-20 on LEG570
Bzr revision: 118168 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'