Subject: bug#19607: issue with Emacs 24.4.1 but not with 24.3.1 : changed on disk; really edit the buffer

From: Bertrand Brelier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:19:29 -0500

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your help.

I reproduced the problem and saved the trace files in the attached tar
file.
I edited two files with the 2 emacs versions with the commands :

strace -o emacs24.4.1.tr emacs-24.4 -Q Test24.4.1.txt
strace -o emacs24.3.1.tr emacs24 -Q Test24.3.1.txt

I was not sure how to just select the file access, so I provided the full
trace files.

Let me know if you need anything-else.

Regards,

Bertrand

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 4:39 AM, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If memory serves, Emacs 24.4 is a bit more careful to detect race
> conditions when a file changes while you're editing it, and most likely
> this is running afoul of some aspect of encfs.  I suggest running 'strace
> -o emacs.tr emacs -Q', reproducing the problem, and looking at the
> resulting trace file.  You can do the same thing with both old and new
> Emacs and see how the traces differ.  You can email the traces to
> [email-masked].  We don't need the full traces, just the parts
> relevant to accessing the files in question, notably the file status and
> time stamps.
>