Subject: bug#19606: closed (Re: bug#19606: 24.4; Emacs hangs when editing a 5-line Org file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 19:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19606: 24.4; Emacs hangs when editing a 5-line Org file

which was filed against the emacs,org-mode package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19606: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19606
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19606: 24.4; Emacs hangs when editing a 5-line Org file
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 14:26:32 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Yes, thanks.  Unfortunately, it doesn't say more than the previous
> backtrace: Emacs is displaying some display string with invisible
> property.  Why that would lead to an infloop, I don't see.
>
> My suggestion at this point would be to ask on the Org list whether
> your Org-related setup that triggers this (somehow related to flyspell
> mode) might be the problem.  It could be that the infloop is actually
> on the Lisp level in some code that is part of Org or your
> customizations.
>
> Failing that, I suggest to try to present a minimal reproduction
> recipe and post it here.

Closing after 2 years with no further progress.

Subject: 24.4; Emacs hangs when editing a 5-line Org file
From: Fabrice Niessen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 15:26:33 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

With the following file -- and my configuration file (!):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
#+TITLE:     ECM
#+LANGUAGE:  en

#+PROPERTY:  eval yes

* Macro

Date at export time: /{{{time(%Y-%m-%d)}}}/.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Emacs hangs when replacing "yes" by "no" for the "eval" property.

Recipe:
- Put cursor after "yes"
- Delete "yes"
- Type "no"

Symptom: After "n", Emacs hangs, taking 100% of one CPU core.

Video: http://screencast.com/t/SLRIBOdt

GDB trace:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ gdb -p 1204
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.8
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".
/cygdrive/d/Users/fni/.gdbinit:19: Error in sourced command file:
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
Attaching to process 1204
[New Thread 1204.0x2ca8]
[New Thread 1204.0x6338]
[New Thread 1204.0x4120]
[New Thread 1204.0x47f0]
[New Thread 1204.0x5b9c]
[New Thread 1204.0x5a24]
[New Thread 1204.0x1f1c]
[New Thread 1204.0x3544]
[New Thread 1204.0x3194]
[New Thread 1204.0x3214]
[New Thread 1204.0x5dfc]
[New Thread 1204.0x5e1c]
[New Thread 1204.0x15ac]
[New Thread 1204.0x2770]
[New Thread 1204.0x17bc]
Reading symbols from /cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.4/bin/emacs.exe...done.
0x77d3f925 in ntdll!DbgBreakPoint ()
   from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll
(gdb) source ~/.gdbinit
Warning: /cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/emacs-24.4/bin/../lwlib: No such file or directory.
SIGINT is used by the debugger.
Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
TERM = xterm-256color
Breakpoint 1 at 0x109436d: file ../../emacs-24.4/src/emacs.c, line 350.
Temporary breakpoint 2 at 0x10aa8ce: file ../../emacs-24.4/src/sysdep.c, line 850.
(gdb) thread apply all backtrace

Thread 15 (Thread 1204.0x17bc):
#0  0x77d3f925 in ntdll!DbgBreakPoint ()
   from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll
#1  0x77dadb8c in ntdll!DbgUiRemoteBreakin ()
   from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll
#2  0x70055eb2 in ?? ()
#3  0x775b86e3 in KERNEL32!BaseThreadInitThunk ()
   from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/KERNEL32.DLL
#4  0x77d6be19 in ntdll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain ()
   from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll
#5  0x77d6bdec in ntdll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain ()
   from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll
#6  0x00000000 in ?? ()

Lisp Backtrace:
"redisplay_internal (C function)" (0x1407e78)
"redisplay" (0x88f254)
"sit-for" (0x88f3a8)
"flyspell-check-word-p" (0x88f4f8)
"byte-code" (0x88f610)
"flyspell-post-command-hook" (0x88f844)

Thread 14 (Thread 1204.0x2770):
#0  0x77d3de5c in ntdll!ZwDelayExecution ()
   from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll
#1  0x755311f8 in SleepEx () from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/KERNELBASE.dll
#2  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#3  0x6eb5ff20 in ?? ()
#4  0x0114ab1e in watch_worker (arg=0x3bf5d40)
    at ../../emacs-24.4/src/w32notify.c:278
#5  0x775b86e3 in KERNEL32!BaseThreadInitThunk ()
   from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/KERNEL32.DLL
#6  0x77d6be19 in ntdll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain ()
   from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll
#7  0x77d6bdec in ntdll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain ()
   from /cygdrive/c/Windows/SYSTEM32/ntdll.dll
#8  0x00000000 in ?? ()
[Thread 1204.0x17bc exited with code 0]

[Thread 1204.0x4120 exited with code 1]
[Thread 1204.0x3544 exited with code 1]
[Thread 1204.0x5e1c exited with code 1]
[Thread 1204.0x2770 exited with code 1]
[Thread 1204.0x47f0 exited with code 1]
[Thread 1204.0x5dfc exited with code 1]
[Thread 1204.0x5a24 exited with code 1]
[Thread 1204.0x1f1c exited with code 1]
[Thread 1204.0x3194 exited with code 1]
[Thread 1204.0x3214 exited with code 1]
[Thread 1204.0x5b9c exited with code 1]
[Thread 1204.0x15ac exited with code 1]
[Inferior 1 (process 1204) exited with code 01]
(gdb) The program being debugged exited while in a function called from GDB.
Evaluation of the expression containing the function
(backtrace_top) will be abandoned.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I can't reproduce it with emacs -Q.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-20 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.2.9200
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-hl-dired-mode: t
  gnus-dired-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  guide-key-mode: t
  google-this-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  fancy-narrow-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Features:
(shadow emacsbug calc-map calc-stat calc-vec calc-ext calc-menu
calc-aent calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs vc-bzr vc-sccs vc-cvs vc-rcs
diff-hl-dired gnus-dired tabify helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval
helm-mode filecache ido helm-files tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver ffap helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark
helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net browse-url xml helm-locate helm-help
helm-org helm-match-plugin helm-grep helm-regexp helm-plugin grep
helm-external helm-utils dired-sort-map dired-single dired+ image-dired
bookmark+ bookmark+-key bookmark+-1 bookmark+-bmu bookmark+-lit bookmark
pp dired-x dired-aux dired compile helm-misc helm helm-source misearch
multi-isearch fuzzy gnus-alias bbdb-message mailalias sendmail sh-script
smie executable eldoc hideshow vc-svn flyspell ispell org-clock org-mime
org-crypt git-commit-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log vc-git org-table
org-checklist org-id org-gnus org-habit org-custom-agenda-views
org-agenda org-info org-element avl-tree ob-sql ob-shell shell ob-org
ob-makefile ob-ledger ob-dot ob-ditaa ob-awk ob-R appt diary-lib
diary-loaddefs org-inlinetask org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs whitespace nnir flow-fill server recentf tree-widget sort
ansi-color gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml gnus-topic
image-file mail-extr utf-7 nndraft nnmh nnimap parse-time utf7
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-cache gnus-sum time-stamp
copyright epa-file epa netrc gnutls nntp gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source nnoo gnus-leuven bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm bbdb
bbdb-site timezone mule-util gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit powerline powerline-separators
color powerline-themes flycheck rx subr-x company-files company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags-select etags ring company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-capf company-cmake
company-ropemacs company-xcode company-clang company-semantic
company-eclim company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb
company emacs-leuven guide-key s ucs-normalize popwin dash leuven-theme
google-this saveplace yasnippet help-mode find-func pcase elec-pair
paren which-func imenu hl-tags-mode derived org-loaddefs
fill-column-indicator helm-config async-bytecomp async helm-aliases
autorevert filenotify hl-line diminish diff-hl vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher diff-mode auto-highlight-symbol fancy-narrow easy-mmode
delsel info+ thingatpt undo-tree diff edmacro kmacro idle-require
mm-archive message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils network-stream
starttls url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
url-gw url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars
epg finder-inf ace-jump-mode-autoloads tex-site bbdb-autoloads
boxquote-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads dictionary-autoloads
connection-autoloads diminish-autoloads dired-single-autoloads
fill-column-indicator-autoloads info easymenu fuzzy-autoloads
idle-require-autoloads interaction-log-autoloads lcs-autoloads
link-autoloads pager-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads tidy-autoloads shorten-autoloads
unbound-autoloads package epg-config advice help-fns cl-macs cl gv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns
disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)