Subject: bug#19603: 24.4.51; Improve emacs startup message.

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 07:21:02 +0100

Hi,

Now emacs packages are widely used,
it would be great to improve the startup message of emacs with a link
about how to quickly setup package.el to be usable.
I have regularly people complaining "It is not working" because
they install packages through package.el and they don't add in their
init file `package-initialize', or they try compiling autoload file
etc...  I have provided a link in my Readme file to redirect to a brief
documentation on how to use all this, but apparently many don't read
this...

WDYT ?

In GNU Emacs 24.4.51.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2015-01-11 on dell-14z
Repository revision: b544ab561fcb575790c963a2eda51524fa366409
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  git-gutter-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  golden-ratio-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
Auto-saving...done
Do you really want to mark all articles in gmane.emacs.bugs as read? (y or n) y
Do you really want to mark all articles in gmane.emacs.devel as read? (y or n) y
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n) y
Saving /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/thierry/.newsrc.eld...done

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4.51/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow emacsbug helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval gnus-html url-cache
gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml nndraft nnmh nnml nnfolder
parse-time netrc gnutls network-stream starttls tls gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache mail-extr
epa-mail view solar cal-dst holidays hol-loaddefs smiley gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig w3m-form mule-util add-log conf-mode
cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-hg jedi python-environment auto-complete
popup epc ctable concurrent deferred markdown-mode vc-rcs sh-script smie
executable make-mode vc-git naquadah-theme em-unix em-script em-prompt
em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner
em-alias align-let git-gutter server psession golden-ratio winner
undo-tree diff slime-xref-browser slime-banner slime-tramp slime-asdf
slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch
slime-presentations bridge slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl elp slime-parse slime gud apropos etags arc-mode archive-mode
image-file xdvi-search preview-latex tex-site auto-loads
pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu em-term term disp-table ehelp
python json eldoc-eval warnings whitespace paren time recentf
tree-widget savehist mu4e-config org-mu4e helm-mu mu4e-contrib mu4e
mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mu4e-main mu4e-view
mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 mu4e-mark
mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc mu4e-utils mu4e-lists mu4e-about
mu4e-vars mu4e-meta gnus-dired nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win nnoo
config-w3m w3m-search w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image
w3m-proc w3m-util w3m-load smtpmail-async smtpmail sendmail dired-async
iterator lacarte iedit-rect iedit iedit-lib smallurl mm-url gnus
gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit rectangle-utils rect ledger-config ledger
esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc eldoc esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-arg esh-util tv-utils pcvs vc-cvs pcvs-parse
pcvs-info pcvs-defs pcvs-util ewoc mb-depth cl-info hyperspec
slime-autoloads esh-toggle flymake no-word htmlize cl dired-extension
emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume emms-volume-amixer
emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat org-config-thierry ob-sh
org-crypt appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-annotation-helper
addressbook-bookmark message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader firefox-protocol
bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions init-helm-thierry helm-mode
helm-dictionary helm-ls-git helm-descbinds helm-ls-hg helm-files
image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell dired-x
dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags
helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net browse-url xml url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap bookmark pp helm-help
helm-org org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs helm-match-plugin helm-grep wgrep-helm
wgrep helm-regexp helm-plugin grep helm-external helm-utils dired
compile comint ansi-color ring helm-locate helm easy-mmode helm-source
vc vc-dispatcher helm-config helm-autoloads async-bytecomp cl-macs gv
async helm-aliases epa-file epa derived epg auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache package epg-config time-date avoid cus-start
cus-load w3m-wget info easymenu edmacro kmacro advice help-fns net-utils
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 683885 43714)
 (symbols 48 67146 0)
 (miscs 40 1390 2179)
 (strings 32 166781 19653)
 (string-bytes 1 5011133)
 (vectors 16 58598)
 (vector-slots 8 991985 14360)
 (floats 8 2212 668)
 (intervals 56 7033 1828)
 (buffers 960 208)
 (heap 1024 73577 9284))
-- 
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997