Subject: bug#19602: 11.88; LaTeX found no preview images

From: zhanghanghitomi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 00:01:59 -0500

Remember to cover the basics.  Including a minimal LaTeX example
file exhibiting the problem might help.

I installed Auctex with M-x packages-list-package. Since the LaTeX
command cannot be found, I changed the path by
(getenv "PATH")
(setenv "PATH" (concat
"/usr/texbin" ":" (getenv "PATH")))
However, when I run preview, the compiler says that "LaTeX can found no
preview images". Notice that even I don't change the path, the preview
cannot work properly.
However, at the same time, I can see the "preview" from the function
bar, but preview just does not work.
I don't know why.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
of 2014-10-20 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Package: 11.88

current state:
==============
(setq
AUCTeX-version "11.88"
LaTeX-command-style '(("" "%(PDF)%(latex) %(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)"))
image-types '(png gif tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm)
preview-image-type 'png
preview-image-creators '((dvipng
			   (open preview-gs-open preview-dvipng-process-setup)
			   (place preview-gs-place)
			   (close preview-dvipng-close))
			  (png (open preview-gs-open)
			   (place preview-gs-place) (close preview-gs-close))
			  (jpeg (open preview-gs-open)
			   (place preview-gs-place) (close preview-gs-close))
			  (pnm (open preview-gs-open)
			   (place preview-gs-place) (close preview-gs-close))
			  (tiff (open preview-gs-open)
			   (place preview-gs-place) (close preview-gs-close))
			  )
preview-dvipng-image-type 'png
preview-dvipng-command "dvipng -picky -noghostscript %d -o \"%m/prev%%03d.png\""
preview-pdf2dsc-command "pdf2dsc %s.pdf %m/preview.dsc"
preview-gs-command "/usr/local/bin/gs"
preview-gs-options '("-q" "-dDELAYSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" "-DNOPLATFONTS"
		      "-dPrinted" "-dTextAlphaBits=4" "-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4")
preview-gs-image-type-alist '((png png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
			       (dvipng png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
			       (jpeg jpeg "-sDEVICE=jpeg")
			       (pnm pbm "-sDEVICE=pnmraw")
			       (tiff tiff "-sDEVICE=tiff12nc"))
preview-fast-conversion t
preview-prefer-TeX-bb nil
preview-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww -i -E %d -o %m/preview.000"
preview-fast-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww %d -o %m/preview.ps"
preview-scale-function 'preview-scale-from-face
preview-LaTeX-command '("%`%l \"\\nonstopmode\\nofiles\\PassOptionsToPackage{"
			 ("," . preview-required-option-list)
			 "}{preview}\\AtBeginDocument{\\ifx\\ifPreview\\undefined" preview-default-preamble "\\fi}\"%' %t")
preview-required-option-list '("active" "tightpage" "auctex"
				(preview-preserve-counters "counters"))
preview-preserve-counters nil
preview-default-option-list '("displaymath" "floats" "graphics" "textmath"
			       "sections" "footnotes")
preview-default-preamble '("\\RequirePackage["
			    ("," . preview-default-option-list)
			    "]{preview}[2004/11/05]")
preview-LaTeX-command-replacements nil
preview-dump-replacements '(preview-LaTeX-command-replacements
			     ("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(\\( +-\\([^ \\\\\"]\\|\\\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)*\\)\\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 -ini -interaction=nonstopmode \"&\\1\" " preview-format-name ".ini \\5")
			     )
preview-undump-replacements '(("\\`\\([^ ]+\\) .*? \"\\\\input\" \\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 -interaction=nonstopmode \"&" preview-format-name "\" \\2")
			       )
preview-auto-cache-preamble 'ask
preview-TeX-style-dir "/Users/zhanghang/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.88/latex"
)

Output from running `/usr/local/bin/gs -h':
GPL Ghostscript 9.10 (2013-08-30)
Copyright (C) 2013 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
-dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q       `quiet', fewer messages
-g<width>x<height>  page size in pixels   | -r<res>  pixels/inch resolution
-sDEVICE=<devname>  select device         | -dBATCH  exit after last file
-sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, |command for pipe,
                                         embed %d or %ld for page #
Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 PostScriptLevel3 PDF
Default output device: x11alpha
Available devices:
   alc1900 alc2000 alc4000 alc4100 alc8500 alc8600 alc9100 ap3250 appledmp
   atx23 atx24 atx38 bbox bit bitcmyk bitrgb bitrgbtags bj10e bj10v bj10vh
   bj200 bjc600 bjc800 bjc880j bjccmyk bjccolor bjcgray bjcmono bmp16 bmp16m
   bmp256 bmp32b bmpgray bmpmono bmpsep1 bmpsep8 ccr cdeskjet cdj1600 cdj500
   cdj550 cdj670 cdj850 cdj880 cdj890 cdj970 cdjcolor cdjmono cdnj500 cfax
   chp2200 cif cljet5 cljet5c cljet5pr coslw2p coslwxl cp50 cups declj250
   deskjet devicen dfaxhigh dfaxlow dj505j djet500 djet500c dl2100 dnj650c
   epl2050 epl2050p epl2120 epl2500 epl2750 epl5800 epl5900 epl6100 epl6200
   eplcolor eplmono eps9high eps9mid epson epsonc epswrite escp escpage
   faxg3 faxg32d faxg4 fmlbp fmpr fs600 gdi hl1240 hl1250 hl7x0 hpdj1120c
   hpdj310 hpdj320 hpdj340 hpdj400 hpdj500 hpdj500c hpdj510 hpdj520 hpdj540
   hpdj550c hpdj560c hpdj600 hpdj660c hpdj670c hpdj680c hpdj690c hpdj850c
   hpdj855c hpdj870c hpdj890c hpdjplus hpdjportable ibmpro ijs imagen
   inferno inkcov iwhi iwlo iwlq jetp3852 jj100 jpeg jpegcmyk jpeggray la50
   la70 la75 la75plus laserjet lbp310 lbp320 lbp8 lex2050 lex3200 lex5700
   lex7000 lips2p lips3 lips4 lips4v lj250 lj3100sw lj4dith lj4dithp lj5gray
   lj5mono ljet2p ljet3 ljet3d ljet4 ljet4d ljet4pjl ljetplus ln03 lp1800
   lp1900 lp2000 lp2200 lp2400 lp2500 lp2563 lp3000c lp7500 lp7700 lp7900
   lp8000 lp8000c lp8100 lp8200c lp8300c lp8300f lp8400f lp8500c lp8600
   lp8600f lp8700 lp8800c lp8900 lp9000b lp9000c lp9100 lp9200b lp9200c
   lp9300 lp9400 lp9500c lp9600 lp9600s lp9800c lps4500 lps6500 lq850
   lxm3200 lxm5700m m8510 mag16 mag256 md1xMono md2k md50Eco md50Mono md5k
   mgr4 mgr8 mgrgray2 mgrgray4 mgrgray8 mgrmono miff24 mj500c mj6000c
   mj700v2c mj8000c ml600 necp6 npdl nullpage oce9050 oki182 oki4w okiibm
   oprp opvp paintjet pam pamcmyk32 pamcmyk4 pbm pbmraw pcl3 pcx16 pcx24b
   pcx256 pcx2up pcxcmyk pcxgray pcxmono pdfwrite pgm pgmraw pgnm pgnmraw
   photoex picty180 pj pjetxl pjxl pjxl300 pkm pkmraw pksm pksmraw plan
   plan9bm planc plang plank planm png16 png16m png256 png48 pngalpha
   pnggray pngmono pnm pnmraw ppm ppmraw pr1000 pr1000_4 pr150 pr201
   ps2write psdcmyk psdrgb pxlcolor pxlmono r4081 rinkj rpdl samsunggdi
   sgirgb sj48 spotcmyk st800 stcolor sunhmono svg t4693d2 t4693d4 t4693d8
   tek4696 tiff12nc tiff24nc tiff32nc tiff48nc tiff64nc tiffcrle tiffg3
   tiffg32d tiffg4 tiffgray tifflzw tiffpack tiffscaled tiffsep tiffsep1
   txtwrite uniprint x11 x11alpha x11cmyk x11cmyk2 x11cmyk4 x11cmyk8
   x11gray2 x11gray4 x11mono x11rg16x x11rg32x xcf xes xpswrite
Search path:
   %rom%Resource/Init/ : %rom%lib/ :
   /usr/local/share/ghostscript/9.10/Resource/Init :
   /usr/local/share/ghostscript/9.10/lib :
   /usr/local/share/ghostscript/9.10/Resource/Font :
   /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts :
   /usr/local/share/fonts/default/ghostscript :
   /usr/local/share/fonts/default/Type1 :
   /usr/local/share/fonts/default/TrueType : /usr/lib/DPS/outline/base :
   /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 : /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType :
   /usr/share/cups/fonts
Initialization files are compiled into the executable.
For more information, see /usr/local/share/ghostscript/9.10/doc/Use.htm.
Please report bugs to bugs.ghostscript.com.