Subject: 23.4; message-mode quietly saves plaintext in draft folder (potentially remote IMAP servers)

From: Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 17:49:45 +0100

i have a gmail+gnus setup. when a message is marked to be encrypted in
message-mode (with a <#secure ...> tag) then drafts of the message end
up being saved quietly in cleartext to the gmail drafts folder.

i propose to change the defaults so that drafts are either saved
encrypted (to the sender as recipient, so that it can be decrypted for
further editing), or at least a warning should be shown to the user
before saving the message in cleartext.

thank you for all your efforts, past, present, and future!

-- 
- attila lendvai
- PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
--
"We do not learn from experience... we learn from reflecting on experience."
- John Dewey (1859-1952)

PS: i'm sending this from gmail because i couldn't set up SMTP for my
gmail account (cannot find any fix for "Must issue a STARTTLS command
first").

In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-09-08 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build'
'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
'--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall
-DDEBIAN -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t