Subject: bug#19583: nntp-open-server: wrong buffer for nnoo-change-server; breaks url-news

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 17:50:16 +0000

>>>>> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]> writes:

 >> As of 88bc8332eb14 (2015-01-07 13:51:41 +0000), nntp-open-server
 >> appears to call nnoo-change-server without switching to
 >> nntp-server-buffer first, thus installing the local variables in the
 >> whatever buffer current at the time it’s called.

[…]

 >> This affects url-retrieve-synchronously; consider, e. g.:

 > Since this hasn't worked in a year, this suggests that `url-news'
 > isn't used any more.  I suggest removing it.

	Does the above mean that nntp-open-server is only used by
	‘url-news’ (and thus could be removed once it’s gone), /or/ does
	that mean that ‘url-news’ fails to call ‘nntp-open-server’
	properly (in which case, what’s the correct way to call it)?

	(My understanding of the nntp-open-server code is that it /does/
	indeed have a bug, which is somehow /not/ triggered by Gnus, but
	/may/ very well be triggered by just whatever other code that’d
	happen to call it.)

	Incidentally, there’s a reason for me to support the removal of
	url-news.el from Emacs proper, as (I guess) it would make it a
	bit easier for me to offer it as a separate package.

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A