Subject: Re: bug#1958: 23.0.60; org-mode does not honour shift-select-mode

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:20:37 +0100

Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think consistency demands that S-arrow perform text selection in
>> other major modes.  So, unless you wish to change it, we can leave this
>> one alone.
>
> Once again then: I really prefer consistency. What do you mean with
> "other major modes"? I really thought that S-arrow should perform
> selection in all major modes since it is a very basic editing command.

I'm all for consistency as well, but I don't think it implies that
S-<arrow> should have exactly the same behavior in any major-mode, 
or in any editing context.

Org-mode distinguishes between several contexts: tables, lists,
properties, headline, etc.

I think it's reasonable to expect S-<arrow> keys to behave like in
any other modes outside of these specific contexts.  For now this is
not the case, it returns an error like this:

  "org-shiftcursor-error: This command is active in special context like
  tables, headlines or timestamps"

IMHO, getting rid of this error makes Org-mode consistent enough with
other modes.

-- 
 Bastien