Subject: Re: bug#19576: write-file writes the wrong buffer

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 11:44:56 +0100

> That'[s why I think we should do this on master, to see if this causes
 > any problems.

It shouldn't because, as Anders remarked, it already worked this way in
Emacs 23.  So I tend to install this on Emacs-25.

 >>   > The documentation
 >>   > seems to suggest that both of them should be run in this situation.
 >>
 >> ‘window-configuration-change-hook’ shouldn't run since the window
 >> configuration does not change.
 >
 > But the ELisp manual says it should:
 >
 >     -- Variable: window-configuration-change-hook
 >         A normal hook that is run every time you change the window
 >         configuration of an existing frame.  This includes splitting or
 >         deleting windows, changing the sizes of windows, or displaying a
 >                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >         different buffer in a window.

Taken literally we'd then have to run ‘window-configuration-change-hook’
also when we resize windows without resizing the frame.  In particular,
we'd then have to run it in prepare_menu_bars and in redisplay_internal.
Do we really want to do that?  If so, we could easily obsolete
‘window-size-change-functions’ because then every case would have been
already covered by ‘window-configuration-change-hook’ before.

martin