Subject: Re: bug#19576: write-file writes the wrong buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 10:32:28 +0200

> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 09:22:15 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>  >> People who put their functions on ‘window-size-change-functions’ and
>  >> ‘window-configuration-change-hook’ usually don't care about the precise
>  >> reason why these function get called.  They simply want to cover all
>  >> cases where a new window appears or a specific window changes size.  Do
>  >> we really expect them to add a ‘save-window-excursion’ in one case and
>  >> avoid it in the other because it would mean unnecessary extra work?
>  >
>  > Yes, we do.  Hooks called by the display engine should be coded very
>  > carefully, because they are a large part of that proverbial rope that
>  > Emacs gives us to hang ourselves.  If they don't write those hooks
>  > with great care, they get what they deserve.
> 
> People do care.  But how would they know that in one case we save all
> sorts of things while we don't in the other.

They don't need to.  We won't tell them that we do that even in a
single case.

> At least the OP got what he deserved: Waiting one year for being told
> that the bug he reported is his own fault.

Yes, our bug-handling routine can and should be improved.  I'm sorry
he had to wait for so long.  To be fair, the original report already
put the blame squarely on installing a "broken window size change
function", so I don't think what I wrote here 10 months later is a
revelation of any kind.