Subject: bug#19564: 24.4; eieio backward compatibility

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 09:03:26 +0100

Hi,

today I have fixed in helm an eieio error according to this
bugreport:

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19552

Following Stefan advice, I have added a defalias:

(unless (fboundp 'class-slot-initarg)
  (defalias 'class-slot-initarg 'eieio--class-slot-initarg))

It was working fine, but after upgrading again emacs-25, it seems eieio
raise another error:

When I try to compile helm I have:

Error: Wrong type argument: eieio--class-p, helm-locate-source

@Stefan Can you clarify what do we have to do actually to make eieio
backward compatible or if nothing have to be done on our side (external
developers) can you please fix this issue.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2014-10-24 on dell-14z
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  git-gutter-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  golden-ratio-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<up> <up> C-M-SPC M-w M-x r e p o r t <return>

Recent messages:
Indentation setup for shell type sh
Setting up indent for shell type bash
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type bash
Restoring buffers...89%
Setting up indent for shell type sh
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type sh
Restoring buffers...done
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq hides ~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow epa-mail mule-util emacsbug helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval
add-log conf-mode make-mode cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-hg jedi
python-environment auto-complete popup epc ctable concurrent deferred
markdown-mode vc-rcs sh-script smie executable vc-git naquadah-theme
em-unix em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs
em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias align-let git-gutter server psession
golden-ratio winner undo-tree diff slime-xref-browser slime-banner
slime-tramp slime-asdf slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse slime
gud apropos etags arc-mode archive-mode image-file xdvi-search
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix
pcmpl-gnu em-term term disp-table ehelp python json eldoc-eval warnings
whitespace paren time recentf tree-widget savehist mu4e-config org-mu4e
helm-mu mu4e-contrib mu4e mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions
ido rfc2368 mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc mu4e-utils
mu4e-lists mu4e-about mu4e-vars mu4e-meta gnus-dired nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win nnoo config-w3m w3m-search w3m doc-view jka-compr
image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util w3m-load smtpmail-async smtpmail
sendmail dired-async iterator lacarte iedit-rect iedit iedit-lib
smallurl mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit rectangle-utils rect
ledger-config ledger esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc
eldoc esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-arg esh-util tv-utils
pcvs vc-cvs pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs pcvs-util ewoc mb-depth
cl-info hyperspec slime-autoloads esh-toggle flymake no-word htmlize cl
dired-extension emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume
emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat org-config-thierry ob-sh
org-crypt appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-annotation-helper
addressbook-bookmark message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader firefox-protocol
bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions init-helm-thierry helm-mode
helm-dictionary helm-ls-git helm-descbinds helm-ls-hg helm-files
image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell dired-x
dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags
helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net browse-url xml url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap bookmark pp helm-help
helm-org org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs helm-match-plugin helm-grep wgrep-helm
wgrep helm-regexp helm-plugin grep helm-external helm-utils dired
compile comint ansi-color ring helm-locate helm easy-mmode helm-source
vc vc-dispatcher helm-config helm-autoloads async-bytecomp cl-macs gv
async helm-aliases epa-file epa derived epg auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache package epg-config time-date avoid cus-start cus-load
w3m-wget info easymenu edmacro kmacro advice help-fns net-utils
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 611361 47913)
 (symbols 48 62955 5)
 (miscs 40 437 767)
 (strings 32 154118 19606)
 (string-bytes 1 4536337)
 (vectors 16 53631)
 (vector-slots 8 910749 24501)
 (floats 8 1664 179)
 (intervals 56 6025 865)
 (buffers 960 165)
 (heap 1024 58202 2703))
-- 
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997