Subject: bug#19548: VC changes under-documented, needlessly incompatible

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 02:37:33 +0300

On 05/09/2016 02:42 AM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> Why don't we remove vc-stay-local instead, and keep the appropriately
> named vc-cvs-stay-local?
>
> Do we expect vc-stay-local to have been a lot more popular to customize?
> Then indeed it can become an alias.

On the other hand, vc-cvs-stay-local-p contains this bit of code:

(let* ((sym (vc-make-backend-sym 'CVS 'stay-local))
        (stay-local (if (boundp sym) (symbol-value sym) vc-stay-local)))

which seems like it will ensure that if the user has customized both 
vc-stay-local and vc-cvs-stay-local, the latter will win out (which 
won't necessarily happen if we just declare the former to be an obsolete 
alias of the latter).

So it seems we're actually buying some extra compatibility here at the 
cost of some complexity. Do we care about the above detail?

If yes, vc-stay-local should remain as it is now. If not, I'll gladly 
rename it back to vc-cvs-stay-local, and create an obsolete alias.