Subject: Re: bug#19548: VC changes under-documented, needlessly incompatible

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 02:42:09 +0300

On 01/09/2015 07:41 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:

Sorry about saying it this late, but:

> Also, the changes are more incompatible than they need to be.
> For example, in Emacs 24.4 there is a user option vc-cvs-stay-local.
> In master, it was deleted in favour of vc-stay-local.

Looking at the commit that made this (185320a5), I see no reason for 
there to be vc-stay-local. Quite the opposite, the commit message says:

"The CVS back end retaiin this machibery and the vc-stay-local 
configuration variable now only affects it."

Why don't we remove vc-stay-local instead, and keep the appropriately 
named vc-cvs-stay-local?

Do we expect vc-stay-local to have been a lot more popular to customize? 
Then indeed it can become an alias.

> Probably there are other such cases, as well as cases where setting
> advertised-calling-convention rather than simply deleting function
> arguments would help.

If you could point out the specific ones, that would be helpful.