Subject: 25.0.50; erc /notify command needs module activation

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 07:57:51 -0700

I tried the ERC "/notify" command and was puzzled when it did not work.

On irc fledermaus discovered that one must activate the erc-notify
module first.

However, It seems to me that since /notify is unconditionally installed
as a command that simply invoking it ought to be enough, and that no
extra configuration should be required.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.8 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)
 of 2015-01-06 on pokyo
Repository revision: f5afaf9ce74dd04e37d72e62ecd85fc19c06bb55
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000
System Description:	Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/tromey/Emacs/install'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-notify-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  erc-status-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Mark set [3 times]
Saving file /home/tromey/DotEmacs/.emacs...
Wrote /home/tromey/DotEmacs/.emacs
C-x C-g is undefined
Quit
Mark set
Press C-c C-c when you are done editing.
Enter a change comment.  Type C-c C-c when done
Checking in /home/tromey/DotEmacs/.emacs...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/play/bubbles

Features:
(shadow emacsbug log-edit nndoc url-handlers crm debbugs-gnu debbugs
soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw vc-annotate tramp-cache tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver gnus-fun apropos tabify man etags
xref flymake-jshint flymake js json notifications dbus eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe help-mode erc-notify flow-fill
gnus-html xml url-cache mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
url-vars mailalias bbdb-sc supercite regi mail-hist nnir shr-color color
org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs smerge-mode shr dom subr-x pcase mm-archive shell
ido bbdb-gui bbdb-hooks sort smiley gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 bbdb-gnus
bbdb-snarf mail-extr bbdb-com warnings cl gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-registry
registry eieio-base gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo smtpmail sendmail gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils log-view pcvs-util browse-url rebase-mode rx xterm copyright
find-file find-dired dired misearch multi-isearch add-log dabbrev
idutils derived bug-reference cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
mule-util vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs gnutls network-stream nsm starttls tls erc-spelling
erc-truncate flyspell ispell diminish appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs which-func imenu projectile edmacro
kmacro pkg-info find-func lisp-mnt epl grep compile dash s minimap
autorevert filenotify desktop frameset cus-start cus-load status
erc-services erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks
erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button wid-edit erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat
format-spec auth-source cl-macs gv eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
thingatpt pp advice help-fns vc-dir ewoc vc cl-loaddefs cl-lib
vc-dispatcher cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs bbdb timezone
ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring server savehist dwarf-mode-autoloads
jabber-autoloads lisppaste-autoloads pydoc-info-autoloads info-look info
easymenu weblogger-autoloads package epg-config bbdb-autoloads time-date
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2504605 540130)
 (symbols 48 127014 383)
 (miscs 40 39396 16544)
 (strings 32 523976 141563)
 (string-bytes 1 16370875)
 (vectors 16 116424)
 (vector-slots 8 2679425 152235)
 (floats 8 2026 2728)
 (intervals 56 305283 17947)
 (buffers 976 410)
 (heap 1024 327979 14862))

Tom