Subject: bug#19513: shift-select-mode fails to be fully buffer-local

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 21:09:27 -0500

> I know you'll consider it weird to want to buffer-locally disable
> shift-select-mode.

Indeed.  I actually find it weird to want to disable shift-select-mode
globally as well.

Could you explain why you want to disable-it buffer-locally?

> So the above behavior is a bug.

Agreed.  It's got pretty low priority for me, tho.

> The reason I want to do that is I have a minor mode that depends on
> shift-select-mode being disabled.

Can you explain how/why?

> I never use shift-select-mode myself,

Neither do I, but I've always kept it enabled since it appeared, and
I never bumped into it, so it seems pretty harmless in "normal" use.

> The easy solution is to remove shift-select-mode from Emacs.  That's what
> I vote for, but I guess I'm in the minority. ;-)

Yes, I think you're in a very small minority here.  I think it'll be
much easier to make your minor mode work with shift-select-mode.

        Stefan