Subject: bug#19510: closed (Re: bug#19510: --with-ns won't run on Fedora 21)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 02:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19510: --with-ns won't run on Fedora 21

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19510: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19510
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19510: --with-ns won't run on Fedora 21
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: "Jan D." <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 18:38:04 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Jan D. wrote:
> It looks like you have installed the wrong backend.

I imagine it was something more complicated than that, as I hadn't installed 
anything other than what Fedora 21 packages.  I had already installed the 
gnustep-gui-devel package but apparently that does not suffice to run GnuStep 
apps.  After installing gnustep-examples the problem went away.  The examples 
themselves aren't needed, but they have prerequisites that apparently supply the 
missing runtime components.  The whole thing is very mysterious, I must say; it 
would be nice if the diagnostics were clearer, but I'm so lost that I don't know 
what they should say.

Anyway, thank for checking, and I am closing the bug.  Bug#19507 still remains 
(it wasn't affected by installing gnustep-examples).

Subject: --with-ns won't run on Fedora 21
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Emacs bug reports and feature requests <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 13:29:21 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Fedora 21 x86-64, if I configure emacs with "./configure --with-ns 
CFLAGS='-g3 -O2 -DGNUSTEP'" (the -DGNUSTEP is to work around Bug#19507), the 
resulting executable fails with the following diagnostic:

2015-01-04 13:27:06.763 emacs[28811] Did not find correct version of backend 
(libgnustep-back-024.bundle), falling back to std (libgnustep-back.bundle).
2015-01-04 13:27:06.764 emacs[28811] NSApplication.m:304  Assertion failed in 
initialize_gnustep_backend.  Unable to find backend back
./emacs: Uncaught exception NSInternalInconsistencyException, reason: 
NSApplication.m:304  Assertion failed in initialize_gnustep_backend.  Unable to 
find backend back

Sorry, I don't know what those diagnostics mean.  I'm using just the standard 
Fedora 21 installation as far as I know.