Subject: bug#19483: closed (Re: bug#19483: 25.0.50; out-of-date doc and Commentary in `font-lock' wrt `font-lock-syntactic-keywords')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 03:20:04 +0000

Your bug report

#19483: 25.0.50; out-of-date doc and Commentary in `font-lock' wrt `font-lock-syntactic-keywords'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19483: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19483
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19483: 25.0.50; out-of-date doc and Commentary in `font-lock' wrt `font-lock-syntactic-keywords'
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 22:19:07 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 19483 notabug
thanks

> `C-h v font-lock-syntactic-keywords' says that the variable is obsolete
> since 24.1.

That's right.

> But in font-lock.el, the code, multiple doc strings, and
> the Commentary all rely on it.

No, they just keep supporting it, because it's only "obsolete" and not
"removed".

Do you really want to advocate we remove features right away when we
decide they're obsolete?

        Stefan

Subject: 25.0.50; out-of-date doc and Commentary in `font-lock' wrt `font-lock-syntactic-keywords'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 14:25:33 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

`C-h v font-lock-syntactic-keywords' says that the variable is obsolete
since 24.1.  But in font-lock.el, the code, multiple doc strings, and
the Commentary all rely on it.

Something is not up to date, it seems.  Whatever that is, it should have
been taken care of at the same time that this variable was declared
obsolete.  That's 4 releases ago, now.  As of Emacs 25.1, it will be 5
releases overdue.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-20 on LEG570
Bzr revision: 118168 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'