Subject: bug#19481: package.el: support .tar archives featuring a pax_global_header entry

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 11:05:48 +0000

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> From: Ivan Shmakov  Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 20:54:33 +0000

 >> Please consider the revised patch MIMEd.

 >> * lisp/tar-mode.el (tar-header-extractable-p): New function.
 >> (tar-untar-buffer): Use it; or use the value of the new optional
 >> argument instead.

 >> * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el (package-untar-buffer): Use
 >> tar-header-extractable-p.
 >> (package-tar-file-info): Consider the second file name in the
 >> archive if the first one has no directory component.

 > Thanks.

 > Can we have a test suite for this file,

	Which of the two?  (Or three, to count the .tar file produced by
	$ git archive.)

 > and in particular for these changes?

	I hope to come with a suitable addition for
	test/automated/package-test.el shortly.  Or do you suggest
	adding a test suite for tar-mode as well?

	FTR, the two changes I suggest are not /inter/dependent, so I
	intend to push them as two separate commits.  (And I wonder if
	eit makes sense to now file a separate Severity: wishlist bug
	report for tar-header-extractable-p, so to provide a somewhat
	extended background for the feature.)

 > Failing that, please describe how you tested these changes.

	I’ve tested these using my MW package, like:

	• C-x b *new-buffer* RET;

	• M-x cd RET ~/devel/mw-el-2015/ RET;

	• C-u M-! git archive --prefix=mw-0.2/ --format=tar
	  HEAD 2> /dev/null RET;

	• M-x tar-mode RET;

	• M-x package-install-from-buffer RET.

 > Otherwise, I have no comments, and no objections to commit this, once
 > we are sure it doesn't break anything.

	ACK, thanks.

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  np. La vita — Roberto Ricioppo   … B6A0 230E 334A