Subject: bug#19474: 24.4; icomplete fails to insert character with C-x 8

From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:54:53 +0000

* I started emacs with emacs -Q -nw
* I turned on icomplete by typing ESC x i c o m p l e t e RET
* I attempted to insert my favorite character, "PILE OF POO", by typing C-x
8 RET p i l e RET
* I saw an error in the echo area: read-char-by-name: Invalid character
* I did not see my beloved character in the current buffer

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2014-10-22 on ip-10-172-239-100
Repository revision: [email-masked]
System Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --without-x'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  icomplete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC [ > 8 3 ; 4 0 1 0 0 ; 0 c ESC x i c o m p l e t
e RET C-x 8 RET p i l e RET C-h l ESC x r e p o r t
- e m a c s - RET

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Source file `/mnt/emacs/lisp/cus-start.el' newer than byte-compiled file
read-char-by-name: Invalid character
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Source file `/mnt/emacs/lisp/mail/emacsbug.el' newer than byte-compiled file

Load-path shadows:
/mnt/emacs/lisp/emulation/vip hides /mnt/emacs/lisp/obsolete/vip
/mnt/emacs/lisp/emulation/tpu-edt hides /mnt/emacs/lisp/obsolete/tpu-edt
/mnt/emacs/lisp/emulation/ws-mode hides /mnt/emacs/lisp/obsolete/ws-mode
/mnt/emacs/lisp/emulation/tpu-mapper hides
/mnt/emacs/lisp/obsolete/tpu-mapper
/mnt/emacs/lisp/emulation/crisp hides /mnt/emacs/lisp/obsolete/crisp
/mnt/emacs/lisp/progmodes/cc-compat hides /mnt/emacs/lisp/obsolete/cc-compat
/mnt/emacs/lisp/emulation/vi hides /mnt/emacs/lisp/obsolete/vi
/mnt/emacs/lisp/emulation/tpu-extras hides
/mnt/emacs/lisp/obsolete/tpu-extras

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu mule-util
iso-transl cus-start cus-load icomplete xterm time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 179617 4242)
 (symbols 24 36393 0)
 (miscs 20 37 136)
 (strings 16 77064 5781)
 (string-bytes 1 1408331)
 (vectors 8 8547)
 (vector-slots 4 409862 15748)
 (floats 8 60 609)
 (intervals 28 165 25)
 (buffers 512 12)
 (heap 1024 14171 1298))