Subject: Re: bug#19472: Eww in Emacs 24.4 refuses to open local files

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 11:12:20 +0000

Tags: notabug

>>>>> Kelly Dean <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

 >> Works for me on the Emacs 24 branch:

 >> `M-x eww RET file:///tmp/cert.html RET'

 > I get the error ⌜This function requires Emacs to be compiled with
 > libxml2⌝.

 > IOW, I can't read.

 > In my defense, ⌜/home/test/test.html⌝ produced the error ⌜/80 Name or
 > service not known⌝,

	This could probably be improved, – either the error message, or
	the treatment of URIs which look like (absolute?) filenames.

 > and ⌜file://home/test/test.html⌝ produced an FTP buffer with the
 > error ⌜home: No address associated with hostname⌝,

	Indeed, a file://home/ URI means “get files from the host named
	‘home’.”  Cf.: file:/home/, which means “a directory named
	/home/ on the local filesystem.”

 > so by the time I tried ⌜file:///home/test/test.html⌝ and the debugger
 > popped up yet again, I assumed the error was just another complaint
 > about my syntax.

 > Sorry for the mistaken bug report.

	ACK, closing.

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A