Subject: Re: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 21:38:47 +0200

On 12/30/2014 10:19 AM, Helmut Eller wrote:

> For me, opening the file the first time is a bit slow, but after that
> moving up and down is instantaneous.

Same here.

> I didn't implement that.  It's because of the save-window-excursion in
> xref--next-line that Dmitry added.  In my proposal the other window
> didn't change when the cursor didn't move.

This is a possibly hacky execution of the following idea: I can move up 
and down the lines and see their buffers displayed, but if I haven't 
pressed RET, I should be able to press `q' and the window configuration 
should return to just the way it was before `xref-find-definitions' was 
called.

But not if the user modifier the window configuration in other ways, 
while *xref* buffer was open, or if the user switches to an existing 
*xref* buffer again after burying it.

Suggestions for a better implementation are welcome. Should we mess 
around with `window-configuration-change-hook'?