Subject: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 17:44:24 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 15:16:24 +0300
> 
> On 05/02/2015 02:45 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > Found it: that --color=always _is_ the problem, since the SGR escapes
> > interfere with the search.  How does this work on Posix platforms?
> > Should we filter out that switch unconditionally?
> 
> It works okay either way here. But if "--color=always" in 
> grep-find-template is a problem on Windows, why is it there in the first 
> place?

I recalled the reason: grep-find wants to display the colorification,
by converting SGR escapes into Emacs faces, so it needs those
escapes.  However, since on Windows subprocesses are run via pipes,
which fail the isatty test, Grep will not produce colors under "auto",
so we use "always" instead.

CEDET shouldn't have blindly copied the template, because its needs
are different, and in particular it doesn't need or want the colors
anyway.