Subject: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 22:17:22 +0300

On 05/02/2015 09:45 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> We could always ask about the ID file itself, you know...

At that point, we don't yet know if ID Utils will be used, or GNU 
Global, or something else.

Maybe we should forget this complication and simply ask the user to 
visit the tags file first (it's the etags backend, after all).

That just seemed awkward to me, because the contents of that file aren't 
used at all in this scenario (only its location).

>> When I say (or read) "search in directory", I understand it to mean the
>> subdirectories, too.
>
> Well, it wasn't entirely clear, perhaps because I know too much about
> ID Utils.

How come that's a factor? 'mkid' scans the subdirectories.

> That's not what happened here: the invocation of 'lid' yields a
> non-empty buffer, but then the result is an empty list.  That's a
> clear sign of some problem somewhere.

Yup.

> Could be.  In general, if the buffer is non-empty, there should be
> results.

Not a bad heuristic. The buffer said "No 'ID' file found" when I was 
dealing with a bug in my code. But that wass an error as well.

I think we can add that non-empty assertion to 
`semantic-symref-parse-tool-output'.