Subject: Re: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 05:27:18 +0300

On 04/30/2015 04:48 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I believe the default in Emacs is to use caseless searches in these
> situations, and leave it to the user to either customize
> case-fold-search or type the exact letter-case if she wants such exact
> matches.  With languages that customarily use both letter-cases, I see
> no reason to deviate from that practice.

Yeah, that still works like that. "Followed by any matches ... but for 
letter-case" simply means to me to use case-insensitive matching in the 
first place, since the backend doesn't return matches in groups.

However, the kind of matches could be included in the "location group" name.

Or we could even allow groups to nest somehow (similarly to 
semantic-symref output, which nests tags within functions, within 
files). However, this idea alone won't preserve the ordering of groups.

> If it can't, it's probably because no one coded that.  But the rules
> are not so complex, so it's not inconceivable that such code could
> exist in the UI.

Still, that doesn't sound like a good idea. Backends know their 
languages better.

> Why not learn from find-tag-tag-order, and allow the same categories
> of matches as it uses, sans those that make no sense outside of the
> TAGS data?

 From where I'm standing, that's a customization preference, not a 
design suggestion. The latter would include a proposal of changes to the 
xref-find-function interface.