Subject: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 20:58:40 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 20:22:14 +0300
> 
> >> Actually, if you're not working on a Git checkout, I don't think you can use the tags even for the Elisp code that's part of Emacs.
> >
> > Why not?  I do it all the time, and tried again just now: it works.
> 
> Okay, you can, if you find out where your distribution installed the 
> Elisp files, go there, and generate the TAGS table.
> 
> Again, not something I'd ask the average user to do.

I don't understand why.  It's a simple matter that is clearly
described in the Emacs user manual, for this very reason.

Quite a few development tools use databases that need to be generated
when you start working on a project, and then regenerated from time to
time.  This is quite routine in any sizable development project, and I
think many developers (a.k.a. "Emacs users") are familiar with this
and won't be intimidated by the need to generate TAGS.